We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning ahead for next year's 4th of July visit

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gettysburg...
reviews: 3
Planning ahead for next year's 4th of July visit

Looking for a hassle-free way to see the DC fireworks next year. Are there any cruises out of Alexandria open to public? As an alternative are there any hotels in Alexandria, DC, or other nearby places with rooftop views of the fireworks?

If anyone can post any recommendations,, we would greatly appreciate!

Springfield, VA
reviews: 113
1. Re: Planning ahead for next year's 4th of July visit

The traditional spot to watch the national fireworks in Alexandria is on the lawn of the Masonic temple, which is up on a hill. Alexandria also has its own fireworks, usually on a day after the 4th.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 72
2. Re: Planning ahead for next year's 4th of July visit

As a seasoned local I'd rather poke my eye out with a fork than venture into the city for a celebration on the 4th of July.

However, as a visitor to the city being here on the 4th is the most exciting place on earth! July's in DC are hot and steamy (emphasis on steam!)! For the absolute best seats in the house, take the Metro to Arlington Cemetery and walk the pathway towards the parkway and river. The Park Service blocks off the area, we head towards the marina near the Pentagon as there are normally facilities. Bring blankets and plenty of water!

Another plan is to head to the Capitol (via Gallery Place or Federal Center Metro). The National Symphony hosts a special 4th event on the West Front lawn.

As for boat rides on the fourth. There are many cruises. I would recommend staying in Old Town and walking to our waterfront and catching a cruise to watch the fireworks! There are several other companies that do cruises. The Dandy is another riverboat company that includes dinners and you can walk from the waterfront to the pier here in Old Town. The Spirit of Washington is located at the SW Waterfront. This location is problematic, however due to lack of egress.

http://www.potomacriverboatco.com/index.php

I recently enjoyed a Washington Stay-cation at the Kimpton Donovan House at Thomas Circle. They have a rooftop pool and the views are pretty spectacular. The W Washington Hotel also has a rooftop area, you should check directly with the hotels as I believe special events will drive access.

Also, we here in Alexandria enjoy our own birthday celebration on the Saturday (normally a week) following the fourth. We enjoy our own small town fireworks on the riverfront at Oronoco Park. Our party will be this week on the 13th. Our own sympony and the howitzers from the Quantico Marine Base make it a very special event! Watch for announcements as you approach the schedule for next year!

I hope this is helpful.

Edited: 7:17 am, July 08, 2013
3. Re: Planning ahead for next year's 4th of July visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 10, 2014