We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ground transportation between BWI and Alexandria; a review

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
reviews: 379
Ground transportation between BWI and Alexandria; a review

Recently I had a business trip to Alexandria, VA. Typically I just fly in/out of Regan National and either get a hotel shuttle (when available), use the metro or grab a cab (if tight on time). However, this year the airfare into Regan National was just ridiculously expensive and since I avoid Dulles like the plague, I looked at BWI as an option. Sure enough I found a very reasonable rate for a direct flight from Cleveland to BWI. Now, how do I get from BWI to my hotel in Alexandria?

Well, I did some searching on the web and also searched a few of the TA forums. There are a lot of options. I read something about a train to Union Station then the metro to Alexandria followed by a short walk to my hotel…there might have been a bus in there as well. But the discussion of that option also included the comment “I would not want to do this with a lot of luggage” so I kept looking. In the end, I opted for a shared ride service, the Super Shuttle, and that worked out very well for my situation. The major reason that the shared ride worked for me was that I was not in a rush either getting to Alexandria (as I was arriving on Monday in the early evening and my meetings did not start until Tuesday morning) or getting back to BWI (since I changed base following the conclusion of my meetings and spent the night at a hotel next to BWI and caught an early morning flight home on Friday).

A few notes:

As mentioned, the carrier was Super Shuttle (the blue vans with the yellow lettering). However, I booked the trip from BWI to Alexandria through DC Tours (that’s who came up with the best price on the web search). Cost for the inbound trip was $38. The return trip I booked directly with Super Shuttle and that price was $47. So I reckon you can save a little money by booking through DC tours.

On the way from BWI to Alexandria (I was staying at the Westin Alexandria), there were three other passengers, each going to different destinations, and I was at the last stop (which I expected). The drive time was about 90 minutes and I guess the total time from the point where I checked in with the Super Shuttle to arrival at the hotel was a little less than 2 hours. Again, I was prepared for this amount of time and I was not under any schedule pressure, so it was not an issue.

As mentioned, I was moving to a hotel next to BWI for the final night (Star Point by Sheraton). The interesting thing was that the Super Shuttle reservation person said that I could not do the shared ride as a “point-to-point”, and that the end point had to be BWI. OK, minor inconvenience, but I knew that I could just jump off at BWO and take the hotel shuttle back to the Sheraton. But that worked out well since the driver said he would just drop be at the Star Point after he stopped at BWI. There was only one other passenger on the return trip and she was already on the bus when I got on. The return travel time was about an hour, although the bus was nearly an hour late for my pick-up. Again, not an issue for me as I was not on a tight schedule.

Overall, I think the shared ride shuttle provided by Super Shuttle worked well, was fairly cost effective and basically hassle free. It worked well for me as I was on a very relaxed and loose schedule. If you are trying to get somewhere in a hurry, it probably would not be a good option. Plus the combined air and ground transportation costs of flying into BWI were well less than half the cost of going through Regan National. I’ll still consider National as the entry point of choice when traveling to the area, but now I know that I have a very viable alternative in using BWI and Super Shuttle.

Here's the link to the DC tours website with the info on the ride from BWI to Alexandria:

www.dctours.us/…

And the direct link to Super Shuttle:

http://www.supershuttle.com/

Safe travels, y'all!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
1. Re: Ground transportation between BWI and Alexandria; a review

BTW, that should be the Four Points by Sheraton for my lodging next to BWI (the edit time expired by the time I realized my mistake).

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 101
2. Re: Ground transportation between BWI and Alexandria; a review

You might want to copy your comments and post it on the Washington D.C. forum as well since most people who are making this journey are doing it because they are visiting D.C.

Glad it worked for you and I 'm sure your experience will be helpful to others.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
3. Re: Ground transportation between BWI and Alexandria; a review

Good suggestion, longhorn. I will do that.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 19
4. Re: Ground transportation between BWI and Alexandria; a review

We took the Super Shuttle from BWI to Alexandria. The service was good and reasonably fast. We were the third drop-off of three stops and it took over an hour to get to our destination on a Saturday with light traffic. Flying to BWI and taking this shuttle is definitely less expensive than flying to Reagan National and I would take this shuttle again in the future.

5. Re: Ground transportation between BWI and Alexandria; a review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 11, 2014