We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, MA
reviews: 72
Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

Hi! My family will be in the area next month. One day (a weekday) we were going to start early at Mount Vernon then drive up to Arlington Cemetery. I was hoping to stop for lunch in Old Town. We've never been, and would like to drive thru and see a bit and maybe stop for lunch. (Kid friendly, not too expensive). Also, what would be the best streets to drive down to get a real feel for Old Town? Thanks for your advice!

ALEXANDRIA va
reviews: 40
1. Re: Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

On the way back from Mt. Vernon, that main road will turn into Washington Street once you are in Alexandria. Turn Right onto King Street , which is the main tourist stretch. Pull into the public parking lot under the main plaza by City Hall or park on the street. Go to the Visitors center and get a map of attractions. Then you can walk up and down King Street to see which resturant you like.

If the kids like fish and chips, then eat at Eamon's, 728 King Street

take a look at their menu http://www.eamonnsdublinchipper.com/food.html

It's a bit pricey but cheaper than flying to Dublin.

For an american take, do the Fish Market near the waterfront on King Street

They have a childrens' menu see on the right side with mac & cheese

www.fishmarketva.com/index.php?/site/menus/

For a fancy pizza, tryp Pizzeria Paridiso, here's their menu

www.fishmarketva.com/index.php?/site/menus/

For nationwide chain type pizza, do Bertucci's Italian resturant. Plus they have nice lunch special of sandwiches, etc

www.bertuccis.com/mobile/menu/menuitems.php

There are lots more and all on King Street.

Hope this helps and enjoy your tip.

Charm

Plymouth, MA
2. Re: Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! I really appreciate the advice and links! I've been stressing a bit about parking, but I assume a weekday at lunch time might be easier to find a spot than other times.

ALEXANDRIA va
reviews: 40
3. Re: Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

parking in alexandria is easier than in DC and not stressful at all.

. We drive over many times and get free parking on the side streets close to King st. but I'd park in a garage in case you want to walk around after lunch and not worry about the time. Here is a quick link to the city's advice

alexandriava.gov/recreation/…

. Right at the end of King street, there is one expensive garage but the others are very reasonable.

Charm

Herndon, Virginia
reviews: 34
4. Re: Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

Like the first commenter said, the garage under City Hall is your best spot and is closest to the historical area. Warning: the exit is right across the street from a fun (haunted! Ask them about it!) candy shop that has lots of throwback candies. There are also three ice cream shops on King Street near the waterfront. There's a La Madeleine near the garage, as well as some fancier places. A fun, VERY Old Town restaurant is the Hard Times Cafe, which is an old fashioned chili parlor with four different types of chili on everything from tater tots to salads. Amazing sweet tea. It's right around the corner from my house, which is a mixed blessing. It's closer to the Metro though, BUT there's a free red trolley (fun experience for kids!) that goes up and down King Street. Just look for bus-stop signs for the trolley... They're every couple of blocks.

Plymouth, MA
5. Re: Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

Thanks for your help. I think we'll head straight to the garage instead of trying to find a spot. After a bit of research, we were considering King Street Blues for lunch. Menu looks good and seems like a fun place to stop. Although, we are staying in Crystal City, so we could try that location and eat at one of the places suggested here. Decisions, decisions......

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
6. Re: Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

King Street Blues is perfect! Take a quick walking tour as you head back to the garage to your hotel in CC. Head North on St. Asaph Street! Look Right on Cameron and walk the block toward the Christ Church at the end of the block! George Washington and Robert E. Lee worshiped at that church. Take a few minutes to walk thru it and head back down Cameron in the direction you just came. On the left side of the Block is the Fairfax House amongst others where Harry Lighthorse Lee, (Robert's father and GW's Revolutionary compatriot lived). Continue half a block further on down Cameron and mid-block you will see a white clapboard house, which is where George Washington Lived and worked as a young surveyor. For a while in the last decade Mick Fleetwood himself lived in that home. Continue walking east toward the river at the corner of Royal and Cameron you will find the Gadsby's Tavern where George Washington's birthday celebrations; Thomas Jefferson's Inaugural Ball ....amongst others! Head back across the street to your parking garage, but don't forget to stop at the Visitors Center at the corner of King and Fairfax for some more ideas to come back and return to our sweet city! Enjoy your visit!

I hope this is helpful!

Plymouth, MA
7. Re: Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

Glad to hear King Street Blues will be good, we are looking forward to it. As far as the rest of your reply, all I can say is "CUT and PASTE". Putting this info directly into my trip folder and we will definitely follow the route you suggested . THANK YOU so much for taking the time to do that. We're excited for our visit to Old Town!!

8. Re: Place for lunch in Old Town with kids.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 18, 2014