We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to D.C. by Metro?

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
reviews: 1
How long to D.C. by Metro?

I'm staying at the Lorien Hotel and want to know on average how long does it take to get to D.C. (the capitol and lincoln memorial). I do not plan on renting a car so I want to know how long by taking the Metro.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 101
1. Re: How long to D.C. by Metro?

The Metro website has an excellent Trip Planner feature that will show you how long it takes to ride from one station to another and how much it will cost.

Your hotel is about 3 blocks from the King Street Metro station, so that's where you'll be starting out.

www.wmata.com

ALEXANDRIA va
reviews: 40
2. Re: How long to D.C. by Metro?

Take advantage of the staff at Lorien on getting help. For example, there is no Metro station really close to the Lincoln memorial, you have to walk to it. some like to combine the Arlington Cemetary bridge walk. Depends on the weather and what you want to see. The Capitol is at the very other end of the Mall from the Lincoln but there is a metro stop a block away.

Also metro is doing major track work each weekend which can add 20 minutes to the usual 30 minute ride. The Lorien staff should have up to date info.

Be sure to buy a SmartCard or else you will be charged an extra dollar each trip for using a paper fare card.

Enjoy your visit

Charm

Edited: 9:58 am, February 12, 2013
St. Petersburg...
3. Re: How long to D.C. by Metro?

Thank you so much. Just got back the other day. Was great. The metro was very easy to use. Didnt take long at all to go into D.C. Thanks for the tips!

Teesside, England
reviews: 43
4. Re: How long to D.C. by Metro?

Can I join in please?

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn Bridge and I understand there is a Meto station very close by. We want to see as much of Washington as we can, where would you suggest we get the Metro to first?

St. Petersburg...
5. Re: How long to D.C. by Metro?

you are really close to the Rosslyn metro station. It's about 1/2 a mile from where you are staying. I recently came back from the D.C. area and stayed in Alexandria, which is further south from where you are. Taking the metro from king st station in alexandria to arlington cemetery only took maybe about 15-20 minutes. Then we walked across the arlington memorial bridge to the lincoln memorial, which is only about 1 mile. I walked all over to see the lincoln memorial, white house, washington monument, etc. Ask the front desk at your hotel for tips. Mine at my hotel helped a lot. They gave me a "Now visitors map" (you can also go to www.nowguides.com) which helped a lot to find the nearest metros for each area we were walking. It helped us ALOT. D.C.'s metro runs on color lines like Boston which makes it easy. Your trip from your hotel to the popular attractions should only take about 10 minutes or so. If you want to see arlington cemetery and lincoln memorial first, it's best to take Rosslyn station to arlington cemetery station, to see the cemetery and then walk across the bridge to the lincoln memorial. Then you walk to every thing else. If you want to go to the white house first, I recommend Rosslyn station to farragut west station. But I'm telling you, get the NOW map. I didn't get lost at all because of it. It shows all metro stops and attractions around it. Also, like a previous user said above, you can use the rider tool on D.C.'s metro website and it will tell you what lines to take from each station and the average time it will take. It also tells you how much the fare will be.This was also a good tool I used. wmata.com/rider_tools/tripplanner/tripplanne… . If you're only going to use the metro for 1-2 days, it's best to buy a single day unlimited pass each day. If you are going to use the metro during your entire trip, buy a smarTrip card and you can load any amount you want onto it and you also get discount of $1 each trip. But again, it really just depends on how often you plan on using it. Ask the front desk agent on what they recommend. Sorry, I know this was a rather lengthy reply. :-)

Teesside, England
reviews: 43
6. Re: How long to D.C. by Metro?

Sorry, I know this was a rather lengthy reply . . . . . . NOT AT ALL, really useful information! I have copied & pasted it to keep.

Thanks

St. Petersburg...
7. Re: How long to D.C. by Metro?

No problem. Glad I was of help. :)

8. Re: How long to D.C. by Metro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 01, 2014