We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Festive meeting place in Old Town?

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Crozet, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
113 reviews
Festive meeting place in Old Town?

Any recommendations for festive, local places in Old Town for gathering with old friends for late afternoon drinks and appetizers? Recommendations for comfortable (not too fancy) dinner to follow?

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
433 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Festive meeting place in Old Town?

I have different places depending on my mood and purpose! My favorite Happy Hour hang out is O'Connell's (200 Block of King). This is not your father's Irish Pub. The owner's transported half a church and pharmacy from Ireland to recreate a 100's year old atmosphere! You would never know it wasn't always there. There are so many cozy nooks and crannies in this place to find intimacy and more! The menu is decided NOT Irish pub food and trends more expensive.

For exotic drinks consider Vermillion (1100 block of King). They have a corner near the bar that is perfect for sipping exotic cocktails and quiet enough to hear and enjoy your friends. Food is outstanding...and all things considered...isn't any more expensive than others of similar caliber on King.

Columbia Fire House (100 S. St. Asaph) is IMHO the most beautiful and architecturally stimulating venue in Old Town. The drinks are fabulous...the menu needs to change, tho!

Union Street Pub (100 S. Union) and Chadwicks (200 The Strand/Prince Street at the Waterfront) are two more alternatives.

I hate limiting myself to one place for dinner and drinks...and always encourage folks to troll the menus as you walk up King. Do both and enjoy cocktails then sup at another depending on your pocket book!

Restaurant Week begins on Jan 18th! Arrange your affair to coincide and take advantage of the prix fix dinners that will make your visit memorable!

http://www.visitalexandriava.com

I hope this is helpful.

Crozet, Virginia
Level Contributor
16 posts
113 reviews
2. Re: Festive meeting place in Old Town?

More than helpful---just what I was looking for; thanks for taking the time to write it!

3. Re: Festive meeting place in Old Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 14, 2014