We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near First street

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Linden, Virginia
Parking near First street

I bid on a hotel and ended up getting the Holiday Inn for January 6 th to 8th. I only need overnight parking, Their parking garage is closed and it cost $20 a day. Is there any overnight parking near that location. I see some on Fairfax and on Canal, but can't find any information on the pricing and whether or not it is overnight. Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 72
1. Re: Parking near First street

As a local, I'm most familiar with the parking availability closer to King in the historic district. The Holiday Inn is located in the northern part of the historic district, approximately 10 blocks from King Street near Pitt and St. Asaph streets. Parking spots are precious in Old Town. Due to the urban environment and offices, parking along the streets are limited to residents with permits for the district (they are segregated block by block) and limited to 2-3 hours max depending on location. Further, our Parking Enforcement is second to none! As painful as it may be to pay to park, it is a bargain compared to a violation.

I am not aware of any streets that are free of restrictions. Perhaps someone else living near the hotel will chime in... Depending on your itinerary, you could play your luck, but be wary of the 2-3 hour limits. If you can snag a metered space after 7pm, you can park free until the next morning, however, pay attention to signage as some streets may require clearing by an hour certain.

I regularly warn against chancing it on this thread. Old Town is a most walkable city and automobiles are a distraction, rather than an asset. My honest advice is to bite the bullet knowing your property is safe, lest you receive a warm greeting from our local government welcoming you to our fair city.

alexandriava.gov/index_quicklinks.aspx…

More info to assist you..note the maps on the associated tabs.

I hope you find this helpful.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 72
2. Re: Parking near First street

UPDATE:

I just happened by the Giant across from the Holiday Inn this morning and paid attention to the parking situation near the hotel. Interestingly enough, along or near the hotel are side streets with permit parking on one side and no restrictions on others. So it's possible if, as I mentioned about, you get lucky.

ALEXANDRIA va
reviews: 40
3. Re: Parking near First street

At first I was confused reading your post, because how could the parking lot be closed and still cost $20 but then I read a review here on Trip Advisor that if you ask, the hotel will offer parking at the nearby Crowne Plaza but you still have to pay the $20 and then walk or wait for a shuttle back to the Holiday Inn. The internet reviews of this hotel have a lot of complaints about not being told that the parking lot/garage is closed since it had flooded and is being renovated. I see their website now says lot closed, $20 for parking with no explanation of how that works.

The closest pay garage is at Canal Center and according to their web site does not allow 24 hour parking.

It can't hurt to call the Holiday Inn and ask them about parking suggestions as they have to deal with guests every day with the same issues.

Sorry, I could not be more help.

Charm

4. Re: Parking near First street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 19, 2013