We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast Buffet question

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rural hinterland
reviews: 85
Breakfast Buffet question

Hello,

I am aware how late it is (I am traveling tomorrow morning), but I just remembered this forum.

We are staying in the fabulous Monaco Hotel on King Street, but we don't like their breakfast. It is not bad, but way overpriced.

I would rather like to pay a flat fee for a buffet. That isn't cheap either, but my husband and I can eat beyond our money's worth and skip lunch that way. We are trained and experienced buffet hawks, lol...

I have heard about the Hampton Inn Breakfast Buffet, but since we are not staying there, I am sure we won't be let in.

I have already searched here on TA for a Buffet in Alx, but no breakfast option came up with it.

Where can we get a good breakfast buffet in town without staying in the affiliated hotel? Or if there is no buffet available for non-guests, where can we get a good breakfast for a good price?

Las time in Jackson (Monaco's Restaurant), we have paid around $12 for a sandwich each, and we have so longed for the superior Buffet we had enjoyed in DC's Donovan House for just a little bit more.

Or should we ride into DC for breakfast? Is that realistic? How long would we drive from the Monaco in Alx to DC's Thomas Circle? Would that be reasonable at all?

We are staying just that one night and would need to check out soon after that, so that might be stressfull, if that drive takes too long.

I'll appreciate any advice!

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 74
1. Re: Breakfast Buffet question

I am a breakfast fiend and buffets are a peeve of mine here in OT. There is a buffet at the Royal Restaurant on St. Asaph near the Sheraton around the 900 block. The price is right, they have an omelet and waffle bar. I recall the price is around $13/pp.

That is the only place I am aware of. Sorry you don't care for Jackson 20. They are my favorite go to brunch place with their fluffy corn cakes that are light as a feather. The real deal is the endless Mimosas! Which cannot be overlooked for value!

Enjoy!

rural hinterland
reviews: 85
2. Re: Breakfast Buffet question

Thanks Karen, for the quick reply. I have just read the reviews about the Royal, and it looks like a Diner. Uhm, as a vegetarian and as a food snob I will probably not like it, and since it is the last time in Alx for a while, I want to make sure we will enjoy it.

The breakfast we had in the Jackson wasn't bad at all, I only thought we had so much more food in the Zentan in DC when staying at the Donovan House. We are eating much more than average people, I guess, because we always find the served portions a bit small.

Meanwhile I found a recommendation for the Bittersweet cafe. What do you think about that? The prides are pretty low, so we might get a decent amount of food without getting poor. The reviews are telling of good food.

I guess I will have a look myself when there. But from the reviews, I think the Bittersweet is of better quality than the Royal's Buffet. Please let me know your opinion! Thanks!

Edited: 9:20 pm, November 02, 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 74
3. Re: Breakfast Buffet question

I agree...as a food snob...RR will not fit your bill if you are a foodie! Bittersweet will not either. I'm actually a diner kinda girl, Silver Diner (a local franchise with multiple locations) has the best sweet potato pecan pancakes with fried bananas and strawberries on the planet. Wish I could help. Fill us in if you find something worthy and share with us here!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
4. Re: Breakfast Buffet question

It isn't in Old Town, but if you have a car consider the 20 minute drive up into Arlington to visit Liberty Tavern. Their Sunday Brunch buffet is fit for foodies. Here's one review I was able to find: wonkette.com/407154/liberty-tavern-buffet-br…

Reservations are recommended.

Edited: 9:49 am, November 03, 2012
5. Re: Breakfast Buffet question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 09, 2013