We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monaco, Lorien or Morrison?

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northeast
Monaco, Lorien or Morrison?

All three Kimpton properties get great ratings. Any preferences or advantages to one over the other?

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 74
1. Re: Monaco, Lorien or Morrison?

Lorien is a modern style hotel. Monaco is quirky and comfortable. Morrison is an elegant mansion off a quiet corner near King.

Lorien has a zen like spa and two great restaurants and is mere blocks to the Metro. Is adjacent two renown restaurants (one pricy/one not!).

Monaco is on lower King 4 blocks from the waterfront in the center of the historic district and has a shuttle to and from the metro which is nearly a mile from waterfront to the metro station. They have doggie happy hours on Tuesday/Thursdays until October 31st. The Halloween party is da bomb! Jackson 20 restaurant is more casual.

The Morrison House can be pricy and has an award winning restaurant, and an amazing piano bar with the best local talent and everyone joins in...quite cool!

If I was planning your great visit to Alexandria....go for the Monaco. Reserve a spa visit to the Lorien. Have happy hour at the Morrison. Eat at least one dinner or have happy hour at Columbia Firehouse a block away! If $$$ is no object, reserve dinner in Restaurant Eve around the corner on Pitt St...at the Tasting Room....at least do dinner or lunch at the Bistro if you can. Throw back a few at Fish Market, Union Street Pub, O'Connell's, or Virtue Feed and Grain! If the weather is chilly...snag a table in the lighthouse near the fireplace at the Chart House (a chain...but a chain with a view)! We are now a foodie destination with cuisines from Asia to Ethiopia.

Go shopping at the Boutique District which lines King and adjacent blocks.

I hope this is helpful.

rural hinterland
reviews: 85
2. Re: Monaco, Lorien or Morrison?

Hello, I am also a Kimpton fan, and I am always choosing the Monaco because of its fantastic spa rooms. I really prefer to have a spa experience with my own products and not for extra money in an institution.

The Monaco has the famous Fuji tubs, very deep and big enough for 2 adults. I have stayed in their Loft Suites twice, which is a suite over 2 floors! Living room, closet, desk and toilet is downstairs, and the spa bath, another closet and the bed room are upstairs. I have trouble walking stairs (my knees), but these stairs were very easy and painless for me. Low steps.

The other great suite in the Monaco is the Mediterranean Suite, to which I will be returning tomorrow. Very spacious, and also with living room, closets and the famous spa bath room.

I have looked into the other 2 Kimpton Hotels in town, but I have never gone there because of their bath rooms. They seem not special enough for me, and as I said, I am not willing to pay extra for a spa when I can have that right in my spa room, using my own spa products without extra paying.

The Monaco has also a great indoor pool (deep enough for an adult to swim), and it is open from 10 to 10. I am loving that!

You can ride the free trolley which is going up and down the King Street. Yes, it is free, really! It stops only a few meters away from the Monaco's entrance.

3. Re: Monaco, Lorien or Morrison?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 05, 2013