We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Alexandria restaurants

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Best Alexandria restaurants

We will be staying at The Wyndham in Alexandria for 5 days and have booked some restaurants so far for dinner: The Warehouse, Geranio, and Indigo Landing. We need one more for the last night....were thinking of The Chart House down by the water, but it looks pretty pricey. Is there anything else down by the water that is comparable? Just not noisy is about the only requirement.

Springfield, VA
reviews: 114
1. Re: Best Alexandria restaurants

The Chart House has the monopoly on water views. You could always have drinks there and dine somewhere nearby.

The Fish Market on King Street is a good seafood place, but I'm not sure that it's all that quiet. My husband and I also like Red Curry (Asian) on King Street, Landini Brothers (Italian), also on King Street, and Union Street Public House (on, you guessed it, Union Street).

Boston
2. Re: Best Alexandria restaurants

Thanks for the info!

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 11
3. Re: Best Alexandria restaurants

This is going to sound horrible (sorry), but (in my opinion), the Warehouse, Geranios, and Indigo Landing are all overpriced tourist traps and mediocre (at best). The Chart House is a corporate chain restaurant and is similarly mediocre and expensive. I've lived in Old Town for many years and (unfortunately) have eaten at all these places many times (always hoping that they get better, but they never do).

Old Town has some great restaurants, however. Some of my personal favorites (to respond to your request for "best'):

1. Restaurant Eve's Tasting Room is the best restaurant in Alexandria, but comes with splurge/anniversary/birthday pricing. Eve (non Tasting Room) is not as recommended because I think the value for money is just not there.

2. The Majestic. "Homemade" and simple food with a touch of elegance. I think they only thing they don't make is the Amish butter. They make fantastic mixed-drinks at the bar.

3. Le Refuge - throwback country French place on Washington. This place is a time warp of a 70's/80's French restaurants with all the kitchy Nouveau Beaujolais posters and wine bottles. The food is quite good, however.

4. Society Fair Demo Kitchen. If you want to do something quite fun/different, sign up for the Demo Kitchen at Society Fair. This is a new restaurant/food emporium in Old Town with a different food theme every night. You sit at a bar and the chef does a cooking demonstration for 6-8 people while you watch and eat.

5. Hank's Oyster Bar - more than just oysters. Lobster roll! They also have red meat options.

6. Brabo - can be expensive. Nice wine list.

Some casual places:

1. Momo sushi (on Queen);

2. Caphe Banh Mi (Vietnamese on Cameron)

3. Eammon's (fish and chips on King)

4. Le Pain Quotidien (for breakfast - on the corner of King and Washington)

5. BGR (great burgers, shakes, fries and onion rings on Washington)

6. Pizzeria Paradiso (pizza and great beer list on King)

Really the only other place with a river view is Mai Thai, which has reasonable Thai food (although Virtue may have a peek - Virtue has been a bit of a miss, for me, however and I can't recommend it).

Edited: 11:11 am, August 28, 2012
ALEXANDRIA va
reviews: 40
4. Re: Best Alexandria restaurants

Labbydog11

I've got to go with Trover on this. I'm not saying that you would not enjoy your dinner and have a great time at your picks. But I would be remiss if I did not point out that nobody who lives here or in Washington would agree that these are the "Best Alexandria restaurants". (as Carol 757 tactfully implied) But hey, don't take my word, but rather look at the restaurants Washingtonian Magazine put on their 100 Best Restaurant list. for 2012. That's big competition with all the snazzy restaurants in DC and suburbs. The ones in Alexandria that made it were

Brabo Tasting Room, Lorien Hotel, 1600 King St., Alexandria;

The Majestic, 911 King St., Alexandria;

Restaurant Eve, 110 S. Pitt St., Alexandria

Vermilion, 1120 King St., Alexandria

One that I like for totally different criteria is Gadsby's Tavern. Take a look at its Trip Advisor reviews. I like their peanut soup even better than Mt Vernon's. Sure it's "colonial reenactment:" but so is Williamsburg.

Again, it's hard to get a bad meal in Old Town, although it is easy to get an overpriced one. For an inexpensive but good lunch. try Eamonn's 728 King St., Alexandria, VA 22314 Order the Irish-style “chipper.”(a piece of beautifully fried, golden-battered cod.) with fries Also good: Codwich, a hot fried-cod sandwich with lettuce and tartar sauce; fried grouper; sugar-dusted fried dough balls.

Enjoy your visit.

Charm

Edited: 7:48 pm, August 28, 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 74
5. Re: Best Alexandria restaurants

Lots of good advice here! I'll add my own to some of the above. Gadsby's is known by the locals as a tourist stop, but deserves attention since they got their new chef from Restaurant Europa when it closed...he's German and the food shows it! Be sure to go on a Friday or Saturday when you have a good chance to be serenaded by John Douglas Hall....re-enactor extraordinaire! Believe me, it's worth it!

Restaurant Eve is famous for it's 'tasting room' and is booked months in advance, but if you are willing to snag an early appt, you can get lucky. The Bistro Room adjacent offers their standing menu. The Tasting room is a marathon that will cost you big but is a once in a blue moon treat.

Armstrong's new Society Fair is a neat concept with the chef making your meal at a bar in front of you. It too is booked months in advance, but if you friend them on Facebook...there are cancellations all the time to snag if you can.

No one mentioned my favorite Vermillion, so I will throw that in. I also have had uneven service and meals at several, but I don't hold it against our fine establishments....stuff happens! I had one of the best meals a few weeks back at Indigo Landing. The views are mostly of the Airport runway and upper Potomac! I would keep that reservation if given a choice.

Lastly...find a reason to head off a night cap at my favorite bar, Columbia Fire House...it, along with 219 King are probably the finest bars and worthy of finishing off the evening, even if only for a cup of coffee!

Cheers!

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 11
6. Re: Best Alexandria restaurants

Some good comments. After thinking about it last night, some additional favorites in Old Town:

Misha's Coffee (Route 1 and King) - best cup of coffee in Old Town. This is a coffee shop that roasts its own beans (you can also buy them).

PX - this is a "speakeasy" located above Eammons. It has a dress code (no jeans), and generally requires reservations, but the drinks are amazing (reservation link below).

Chadwicks - (Prince and the Strand) - if you are looking for more "bar food" and don't want anything fancy, this is a good choice (compare with some of the similar restaurants on King and on Union). Not expensive and serves brunch on weekends. Can be popular. Still, if you just want a burger and fries, go to BGR on Washington.

Reservations - although it is true that reservations at the Tasting Room (again, this is very expensive) and Society Fair Demo Kitchen require more planning, I would disagree that it is months in advance, especially if you are going to be in Old Town over five days. If you go to the City Eats website and select "search by neighborhood" - Old Town, you can search by day. I found reservations available for this week and next for the Tasting Room (tonight), PX (tonight), and Society Fair Demo Kitchen (next week).

http://www.cityeats.com/dc

Have fun!

7. Re: Best Alexandria restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, December 16, 2013