We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Ice Cream

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, New York
reviews: 14
Local Ice Cream

Hello..........Will be visiting the area later this month. I was wondering if there are any hidden gems in regards to ice cream parlors. Not looking for the usual Ben & Jerrys etc. Does not have to be in Alexandria proper but at least within reasonable driving distance(30 min). We are staying in Old Town so anything (even DC) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 90
1. Re: Local Ice Cream

You might want to try The Dairy Godmother. I've only heard of this place--never tried it--but it does get good reviews. Here's a Washington Post review with the location info:

washingtonpost.com/gog/…1073090.html

ALEXANDRIA va
reviews: 40
2. Re: Local Ice Cream

Chet

Well President Obama' two girls took him to a local favorite, right over in Del Ray alexandria : the Dairy Godmother, It specializes in Wisconsin-style frozen custard. It's less than a ten minute ride It's at 2310 Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria, VA 22301 Current hours are Sunday & Monday 12-9pm, Tuesday Closed, and Wednesday-Saturday 12-10pm. Yelp loves it: 4 stars.

Plus you can stroll the "Avenue" in Del Ray which has nice little shops.

Charm

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 12
3. Re: Local Ice Cream

Definitely go to Dairy Godmother. Del Ray is a cute little community. They have frozen custard and sorbets, so not exactly ice cream, but it is awesome.

There is also Pop's which is on King Street in Old Town.

Lancaster, New York
4. Re: Local Ice Cream

Thank you everybody. The Dairy Godmother it is. Sounds just what I was looking for.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 65
5. Re: Local Ice Cream

I missed this post earlier. There are numerous ice cream and now frozen yogurt places to choose from. My favs are a new Gelato store at the 1000 block of King Boccato Gelato! As for the Dairy God Mother, they are famous for their frozen custards only...so be aware...it is delish, and worth a trip! My favorite ice cream, bar none, is Scoops across from Fish Market 200 Block of King (not NEXT to Fish Market). Their ice cream is home made, something the others cannot boast! Also they have great cobblers to go with their own custard.

Cheers!

Lancaster, New York
6. Re: Local Ice Cream

Karen......... Thank you very much. You sound like a real ice cream fan. And its always nice to have choices. Nothing beats homemade. I actually discovered a place in western PA that still uses their original custard machines from the 40s. Thank you again.

Reisterstown...
reviews: 71
7. Re: Local Ice Cream

chet b, please post a review of that ice cream shop that uses their original machines ( I went to your profile to see if I could find it). I'm a bit of an ice cream fiend myself and always welcome a chance to ride (motorcycle) to get ice cream. I know the weather is turning cold...

Lancaster, New York
8. Re: Local Ice Cream

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the place. But I will post as soon as I do. The part I remember is that it is on Rt 6/322 near Meadville Pa.

Lancaster, New York
9. Re: Local Ice Cream

I found the place. Its called Hanks. You can find more info at hanksfrozencustard.com . Hope this helps.

Reisterstown...
reviews: 71
10. Re: Local Ice Cream

Thanks! I'll check it out!