We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Alexandria/Arlington

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lakeland, Florida...
Hotels in Alexandria/Arlington

So me and a friend are planning on driving up to DC from Florida as a graduation gift to ourselves. We are looking to stay somewhere in Virginia as the rates seem to be cheaper as compared to DC. Any suggestions/tips/general advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking a budget of no more than $100/night and definitely want to stay in a safe area in walking/short driving distance to a metro .

If there are anymore questions or clarifications needed feel free to ask, and thanks in advance!

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 76
1. Re: Hotels in Alexandria/Arlington

I did a little poking around on rates and locations...not knowing when you plan to come, but assuming it might be soon! Alexandria has more plentiful selection of hotels of all budget ranges. It is Summer, but maybe since school is not yet out hotels are showing discounts as they normally increase in the summer.

Finding a hotel in the $100 range is going to be difficult as taxes and parking can lift your nightly rate past $150 range. Given your budget, I noticed some 3rd night free sales here on TA, so they may be worthy of doing a little research. Old Town is my specialty, and I noticed more than a few hotels that normally sell for $250+ that have some specials. They are in the zip code 22314 area also known as historic district. This area is problematic due to added charges for parking $30/night. There are some hotels along Eisenhower Avenue that are walking distance to the Metro that do not charge parking, so have a look there.

I'm thinking, given your criteria the best place for you is near the 6000 block of Richmond Highway aka Route 1. There are a number of decent/new/clean hotels (Red Roof Inn/Holliday Inn Express/Days Inn/Hampton Inn) that are in a safe neighborhood, free parking and ....conceivable walking distance (or via shuttle) to metro. Metro is approx 1 1/2 mile and is probably worth driving and paying daily parking rate. This is the area I would concentrate for your stay. The zip code area is 22303 and is alternately titled Alexandria/Ft. Belvoir/Mt. Vernon/Huntington. Note, it is NOT really near Ft. Belvoir/Mt. Vernon (6-8 miles).

I hope this gives you a starting point. Write back when you have narrowed and I'm happy to weigh in!

I hope this is helpful.

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 5
2. Re: Hotels in Alexandria/Arlington

Many people in the forum recommend the Americana Motel in the Crystal City neighborhood of Arlington. I have not stayed here, but other people have mentioned that it is a safe, clean, no-frills place with free parking and free breakfast. It is just a few Metro stops away from D.C. Looking at their website, the rooms are in the $100 range.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
3. Re: Hotels in Alexandria/Arlington

Weekend or weeknight? Weekends generally cheaper. Last February we stayed at the Hyatt Arlington for about $100, including parking, but rates went up to over $150 during the week.

You might try Hotwire or Priceline, You should be able to get a 3 or 3 1/2 star hotel within your budget (we recently bid on 3 1/2 star hotels with Priceline and got the Double Tree Crystal City-Natonal Airpot for $90 plus taxes and fees), but parking was something like $24 a night. And with those services you won't know in advance what hotel you'll get so you won't know exact parking fees or distance from Metro rail (www.betterbidding.com can give you some ideas). Some hotels are within walking distance of the Metro and others have shuttles. And for some you'd have to take a bus or taxi to Metro rail. With your low budget you might just have to take some chances. We saw the Americana and wouldn't stay there ourselves, but if the price is right, the location seemed fine.

Edited: 3:53 pm, August 21, 2012
Silver Spring...
4. Re: Hotels in Alexandria/Arlington

This thread is over 2 months old and you already responded to them on the DC forum re same.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k548579…

Edited: 4:41 pm, August 21, 2012
5. Re: Hotels in Alexandria/Arlington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 23, 2013