We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Northern Virginia in June 2006

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
First Time to Northern Virginia in June 2006

I am hoping someone can give me some advice on where to stay. A friend and I are going to Vienna (Wolf Trap venue) for a showing of Riverdance. Will also be visiting the Alexandria Archeology Museum and probably Frank Lloyd Wright's Pope-Leighey House.

We will arriving at IAD airport early morning on a Saturday, going to the show on Saturday night, and leaving Sunday afternoon. Is there a decent quiet area (and perhaps historical) place to stay with a restaurant? Seems as if some of the places I've looked at are already booked for the weekend we'll be there.

We'd even be happy renting a cabin or apartment with kitchen amenities if anyone knows of something like that. We would be willing to pay extra for early check-in since our flight arrives at 5:30 am on Saturday morning.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Washington, DC
reviews: 3
1. Re: First Time to Northern Virginia in June 2006

I've never stayed here but the Balliwick Inn in Fairfax City might work http://www.bailiwickinn.com

Fairfax City is pretty quiet and in between Wolf Trap and Alexandria.

Will you be renting a car? Your weekend will be much easier with transportation.

Old Town Alexandria has many hotels and is quite historical. It is a small urban area. There are a variety of hotels in the town. It is convenient to two of your 3 sites, and you could easily use metro and the free shuttle to Wolf Trap. You can bring (or order) a picnic to enjoy before the show and it is a really nice place to relax.

Cabins are harder to come by in this area. Their are rustic cabins at Pohick Bay Regional Park but no restaurant http://www.nvrpa.org/pohickcottages.html

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 6
2. Re: First Time to Northern Virginia in June 2006

I would stay in Old Town. It is in the middle of the things you want to see and it tends to be a little quieter. Not sure about a historial place to stay, but Old Town is quaint.

Definitely rent a car so you can go where you want.

Great places to eat and drink while you are here.

Here is a link you might find useful

discoverourtown.com/VA/…Lodging-268.html

Los Angeles
reviews: 7
3. Re: First Time to Northern Virginia in June 2006

We stayed a few nights at Country Inn and suites in Manassas. It was nice, reasonably affordable and fairly quiet. It backs up to the Bull Run battlefield Park for the historically minded, is just off the interstate, and close to tons (way too much, really) retail on the other side of the freeway. That side of things was very hectic and very congested (and I live in L.A.!).