We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawthorn Suites, Alexandria??

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reno, nv
reviews: 4
Hawthorn Suites, Alexandria??

Walkable to Van Dorn metro station? Safe? Comments on hotel for retired couple to tour D.C.?

Washington, DC
reviews: 3
1. Re: Hawthorn Suites, Alexandria??

I'm a walker and this hotel is not walkable to the Van Dorn metro. Safe? Probably so. I would not suggest this as a convenient or particularly attractive option for touring DC.

My choice would be something closer to metro -- Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn Alexandria; Crystal City or Roslyn hotels. Being closer to metro will make your days much easier.

USA
reviews: 18
2. Re: Hawthorn Suites, Alexandria??

I agree with the previous comment - I would not walk to Van Dorn Metro from the Hawthorn Suites. It could probably be done, but Van Dorn Street is an extremely busy road and it's a sort of light industrial area (used car dealers, towing companies, wholesale warehouses, etc.)and therefore would not be a pleasant walk. Near the King Street Metro station there are several hotels: Embassy Suites and Hilton (both right across the street from the station), Hampton Inn (a short stroll), and a fairly new Marriott Residence Inn (also a short walk away).

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 6
3. Re: Hawthorn Suites, Alexandria??

What about the Holiday Inn next to the Hoffman Center and Eisenhower Ave Metro? Close enough to walk too metro (maybe even a free shuttle) and it isn't in Old Town so it could be a little more affordable, which is why you were looking at Hawthorn.

There is a movie theatre and a few "Ruby Tuesday" type places to eat at the Hoffman center and I would bet they might have a shuttle into Old Town.

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 2
4. Re: Hawthorn Suites, Alexandria??

The Holiday Inn Eisenhower is nice family place. I think schools also go there so could be noisy. Walk to Metro station, restaurants, movies. Heated indoor swimming pool. Plenty of free parking.

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 2
5. Re: Hawthorn Suites, Alexandria??

Van Dorn Street goes from one of Alexandria to the other and beyond. The Metro is at the intersection of Van Dorn and Eisenhower. Hawthorne Suites is way too far. Public bus service will probably get you to Metro. In Alexandria, there are several hotels within walking distance to King Street Station.