We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york, ny
reviews: 2
staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

going with family of four. my 2 kids are 5 and 8.

can you recommend any restaurants. colonial feel could be nice. is gadsby's pretty much the place?

Washington, DC
reviews: 3
1. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

Gadsbys is the place for colonial feel. If you plan to visit Mount Vernon, the Mount Vernon Inn is nice for lunch. The wait staff is in colonial costume and the atmosphere is great with kids that age.

Other good restaurants are King St. Blues on St. Asaph near King, South Austin Grill at King and Columbus, Hard Times on King, and Five Guys on Fayette near King. The best Italian for families is La Piazza at the Braddock Road metro.

Where are you staying and will you have a car?

new york, ny
2. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

staying at the radisson. i'm reading its a kind of a dump....but i'm staying there for free for 3 nights. i'll deal.

for dinner i'm looking for something different. that's why i thought gadsby's. i live in the ny area and we can get just about any type of restaurant here. so i'm thinking the colonial type theme or some place patriotic or whatever. i don't know. lol.

Alexandria
3. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

Check out Alexandria's website:

www.funside.com

You will be able to look up restaurants, attractions, tours, etc.

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 6
4. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

Fireflys near Monroe and Mt. Vernon Ave is another good family place. I've been to Gadsby's and its okay. Everyone is in costume so if that is what you are looking for, you definitely get it.

I second King Street Blues and Hard Times. The Fish Market is touristy, but it is good food and families seem welcome as well.

Washington, DC
5. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

A friend's mother went to Gadsby's years ago and had fond memories. When she was in town for dinner she requested it as the Thanksgiving dinner destination.

The food was awful and service worse, if that could be imagined! Also, the various afternoon hour reservations were all served at once- so that meant a long time at the table before being served.

Alexandria, VA
6. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

I've taken my out of town company to Gadsby's twice and they are usually disappointed with the food. The place is certainly colonial.

Washington, DC
7. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

Yes, it was an absolute disaster meal for my friend's mom, as she is a gourmet chef. Her husband who has Alzheimer's usually doesn't have much to say AND he commented "The food was disgusting."

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 37
8. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

Take a walking tour or carriage ride to get the colonial feel. Restaurant at Mt. Vernon is lovely with good food and service. In Old Town Alexandria, a few of the restaurants that are a hit with us and our company are: Hard Times Cafe, King Street Blues, The Warehouse, The Wharf, Pines of Florence.

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 37
9. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

Sound Side 216 on South Washington Street is also good.

Twin Falls, Idaho
reviews: 35
10. Re: staying in alexandria while touring DC. where to eat

I can recommend several restaurants that DON'T have a colonial feel, but have great food. Peking Gourmet on King Street (near Bailey's Crossroads) has excellent Chinese food. It's in a strip mall, looks like a dive, but George Bush Sr. used to go there so often that they installed a bulletproof window for him. We went two years ago and the weekend lines were even longer than we remembered even with a reservation.

Also when we lived in the area, the Queen Bee had great, cheap Vietnamese food. It's located in the Little Saigon part of Arlington, near the Clarendon Metro stop. Lastly, Copeland's on King Street on the West side of interstate (East of Bailey's Crossroads) was a fun New Orleans style restaurant.

I went to Gadby's one time almost 20 years ago. All I can recall is a limp piece of roasted chicken. :-(