We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week stay in Alexandria

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 145
3 week stay in Alexandria

My son is going to summer school at St. Stephens/St. Agnes school near Stephens Road in late July. I am looking for a furnished apartment/house or hotel room with kitchen. Cleanliness is a must....any suggestions?

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
1. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

I think your best bet would be contacting the school for recommendations. If they can't give you any help, then I'd look for "corporate apartments". There's a chain of short-term corporate apartments called Oakwood Apartments and they have a complex in Alexandria, but it's about an 8-10 minute drive from the school. (I don't know about public transportation options, but there should be something. You can check www.wmata or www.dashbus.com for possible routes.) The downside is that these apartments don't come cheap. Expect to pay around $150 per day at Oakwood for a 1-BR apartment.

There are also suites hotels with kitchens (e.g. Homewood Suites is also about 10 minutes from the school), but they will cost even more.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 81
2. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

To add to Longhorn's suggestions...I put my family at the Residence Inn on Duke. They can be pricey if you don't get a discount, but includes bfast; snacks and happy hour (I recall); along with a full kitchenette. We stayed at a Homestead Suites on Eisenhower avenue for a month while in between home sale transactions. They had a full kitchenette, were within walking distance of Metro (Eisenhower), would be 10 minutes worst case commute to St. S. Had a few amenities. I do not see them rated here, but did a quick check and the rooms started at $109 a night. I recall they had a deeper discount for longer stays.

If you were unfamiliar with the area and considering the length of stay, I'd try to keep it in/near Old Town, just for the history/cultural significance of the area....if you can swing it!

Hope this is helpful.

Arlington, Virginia
3. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

Actually, I was looking at the Homewood Suites at 4850 Leesburg Pike (Route 7) which gets excellent reviews on TA. Although it's listed as the Homewood Suites Alexandria, it's really in Falls Church near Bailey's Crossroads. It would be be a 10 minute or less drive from there to St. Stephens. One advantage that I know to this area is the proximity to restaurants, shops and supermarkets at Bailey's Crossroads. But, again, a pricey option unless they offer long-stay discounts.

Edited: 12:42 pm, January 16, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

thanks longhorn74 & bbbyers for your replies!

Is the area around the Homestead Suites safe...let's say I wanted to go out at night to get some groceries....could I walk in the neighborhood?

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
reviews: 81
5. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

Homestead is far removed from any place to obtain groceries, while walking. You ought to feel safe walking at night to and from the Metro and restaurants/theater across the street. But just warning you, access to groceries requires an automobile, as the closest store is Fresh Fields and Giant on Duke Street, equal distance from Homestead on Duke, which parallel's Eisenhower Ave.

Arlington, Virginia
6. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

I know the two names are confusing, but just to make sure...

As bbbyers says, the HomeSTEAD Suites in Alexandria is not near anything.

However, the HomeWOOD Suites in Falls Church is along a major road that borders a residential area near a local high school. It is within a few blocks of stores and restaurants and there's plenty of foot traffic. My kids went to this high school and I find it a perfectly safe area.

New York City, New...
7. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

Worldtravelorplus

If I were you I would forget anything with a Falls Church address, as you're going to spend too much time everyday in your car going back and forth.

As someone else has suggested, the school will be your best source.

I would look for places with "Alexandria" or "Arlington" in the address.

But there will be places listed as either place that are just as far away as Falls Church. If you study a map of the area, look along Duke Street

anywhere from I-395 (to the west) to the Potomac River (to the east)

Most DCA (Regan National) airport hotels should be okay, time and distance wise. If it were me, I would seriously look at what is available around where Glebe Road crosses I-395.

I'm sure you could find a furnished apartment, maybe for a month.. which should be cheaper than a hotel for 3 weeks.

Look at this site (Windsor) they have a few locations that would work.

windsorcommunities.com/furnished-apartments/…

Edited: 3:05 pm, February 12, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

sorry, I made that mistake also calling it Homestead instead of Homewood Suites.

Getting a bit confused. The Homewood Suites is the one on Leesburg Pike, rights? On google maps, it says it is only 7 minutes away from St. Stephen/St. Agnes School but iesnook said it is in Falls Church...is that far away from Alexandria?

New York City, New...
9. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

Worldtravelorplus

The Homewood Suites Alexandria, located at 4850 Leesburg Pike, is in an area known as "Bailes's Crossroads" (It is not in Falls Church)

According to Google Maps it is 7 minutes from St. Stephens, but that would be like at 5:00 AM and not 5:00 PM. So you double the time and you're still at 15 minutes, which isn't bad. If you're happy with the price and the reviews then I would suggest that you opt for this hotel.

I personally would prefer a hotel in the city of Alexandria v. mailing address of ALexandria, even if it's further away from the school. All of Route 7 in the city of Alexandria is called King St., not Leesburg Pike.

New York City, New...
10. Re: 3 week stay in Alexandria

another place I would not be interested but perhaps you might consider

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Alexandria

420 North Van Dorn Street, Alexandria, VA 22304

I would guess it may be a bit less expensive and I think its TA reviews are similar.