We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

biking to mount vernon

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
biloxi
reviews: 25
biking to mount vernon

staying at the gaylord in national harbor and want to bike to mount vernon from alexandria. i don't see any water taxi service till 1100 am to alexandria. we want to get an early start due to afternon conference. anyone know of eary water taxi service?

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
1. Re: biking to mount vernon

I don't think so, as that water taxi has been recently implemented to service National Harbor. Before that place was built, there was nothing there.

Don't even think about biking on the Beltway! Stupid stupid stupid, and I am sure illegal.

Seattle
reviews: 53
2. Re: biking to mount vernon

I assume you were planning on renting bikes in Old Town Alexandria and then taking the bike path to Mount Vernon - a beautiful and fairly easy ride: http://www.nps.gov/archive/gwmp/mvtmap.html

If I were you I'd just take a cab in the morning to Old Town and take the water taxi on your way back. Or stay for dinner... Old Town has lots of restaurants and night life.

biloxi
reviews: 25
3. Re: biking to mount vernon

Thank you for the great map. Any idea what a taxi would run? We are planing to rent bikes in old town.

Seattle
reviews: 53
4. Re: biking to mount vernon

Probably about $25 for the taxi.

Maryland
reviews: 5
5. Re: biking to mount vernon

Although the Mount Vernon bike path is very popular and rather famous, with scenic river views, be warned it is narrow, and is shared by fast and show bikers, walkers, and joggers. Be careful riding on curves and dips. There is a steep uphill (you may have to dismount and walk) at the very southern end, just before you reach Mount Vernon.

An insider's tip: there are also quiet side streets called "West Boulevard Drive" and "East Boulevard Drive" that run parallel to portions of the Parkway Road and these are a good alternative bike route (but you need a highly detailed map to see where they are).

Maryland
reviews: 5
6. Re: biking to mount vernon

I meant to say "fast and slow bikers".

7. Re: biking to mount vernon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 19, 2009