We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions Welcome

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, VA
Questions Welcome

Having recently discovered these forums, and gotten lots of useful answers and advice on places we're about to visit for the first time, I thought I'd repay the debt by offering what help I can for visitors to my own little city, Alexandria. Just ask what you will, and I promise the best answer I can provide.

Alexandria, VA
21. Re: Questions Welcome

Kate -- I got so carried away, I omitted to mention public transport. Alexandria is easily reachable from central DC by Metro (rail rapid transit, or "subway" as we call it here), about 30 minutes to King St. Station on the Blue Line or Yellow Line.

The station is about 17-18 blocks straight from the riverfront, but there's a local feeder-bus service called DASH that runs continuously and takes only a few minutes. If you're a walker, the trip on foot is certainly doable, at least on a nice day, and King St. is lined for most of the way with a variety of little shops and restaurants.

New York City, New...
reviews: 116
22. Re: Questions Welcome

Hoftraveler, thank you so much.

It seems the way to go is to do Mount Vernon and Alexandria in the same day - ie. the estate in the morning and spend the afternoon and dinner in Alexandria, then metro it back to the hotel.

I've had a look at bus and train schedules as I originally thought we could get the train to Huntington, then a bus to the estate. Then bus back to the station and travel the couple of stops back towards DC to Alexandria (I've momentarily forgotten the name of the station). But the buses and trains aren't timed well and the bus is about 1/2 hour. I don't want to spend half the day on transport.

Would it be possible to go to Alexandria by metro and catch a bus from there to Mount Vernon - as this way it would drop us back in Alexandria in the afternoon? Either by public transport or an organised tour...

Also, how early does it get dark at the beginning of Jan? Of course, when wandering about, we'd actually like to SEE things. :)

I found a walking tour at dc.about.com/cs/sightseeing/a/oldtown.htm

which I thought we could follow. Comments would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help. This forum is fantastic and I also try to repay my debt, by helping out those travelling to Australia!!

NY
23. Re: Questions Welcome

So I can hop on the DASH from King Street Metro to Market Square on the weekends for free? Wow! That's great to hear as I'm planning to stay in the Hilton right by the Metro. Do you know what time and how often they run on the weekends? Thanks!

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 6
24. Re: Questions Welcome

Weekends are a little less frequent.

Here is a link to their home page.

http://www.dashbus.com/

New Jersey
25. Re: Questions Welcome

Hi Hoftraveler:

We are considering staying at the Fairfield Washington, D.C. at Old Town Alexandria. Have you stayed at this place? Is it nearby to any good restaurants? What about transportation, is it easily accessed from the hotel ? Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Washington, DC
reviews: 3
26. Re: Questions Welcome

MaryCat, I live near the hotel. It is very close to the King St. Metro for access to DC -- takes about 20 minutes to get to the mall. Check the metro website for route planning www.wmata.com and info.

Many restaurants along King St. in Alexandria. Some of our favorites include Stellas, Thai Peppers (very close to the Fairfield), Hard Times, Vermillion, Cafe Salsa, South Austin Grill, and Five Guys for burgers. Enjoy, Alexandria is a lovely city.

Grand Rapids, MI
27. Re: Questions Welcome

My husband and I visited the Alexandria area when we were first married 25 yrs ago. We are planning a return trip in a couple weeks. When we were there before we ate a great restaurant that was right on the Potomac and all I remember about it was that they had great hot cross buns. Any idea what restaurant it might have been and if it's still there.

Washington, DC
reviews: 3
28. Re: Questions Welcome

I don't know of the restaurant off hand...but if you are here before Easter they sell them at the Saturday Farmer's Market at Market Square in Old Town -- well worth a stop anytime of year-- and also at Hollin Hall Bakery on Fort Hunt Road, the local road going to Mount Vernon.

Alexandria
29. Re: Questions Welcome

Hot Cross Buns 25 years ago on the Potomac waterfront . . . sadly there were and still are very few restaurants located directly on the Alexandria waterfront. Here's a couple of places that you might have been in:

The Chart House (might not have been there 25 years ago)

Gadsby's Tavern (not right on the waterfront, but Hot Cross buns could have been on the menu)

Chadwicks Restuarant.