We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions Welcome

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, VA
Questions Welcome

Having recently discovered these forums, and gotten lots of useful answers and advice on places we're about to visit for the first time, I thought I'd repay the debt by offering what help I can for visitors to my own little city, Alexandria. Just ask what you will, and I promise the best answer I can provide.

Anchorage, Alaska
reviews: 1
1. Re: Questions Welcome

Hi, We are a family of 5 and looking for a reasonable hotel in Alexandria that is metro accessable. The kids want a pool and we're looking for a hotel that offers a complimentary breakfast. We are looking for something under $150.00 a night Budgetwise, it would be nice if kids stayed free. I know this is a lot to ask for, but it is worh a try.

Barb in Alaska

Alexandria, VA
2. Re: Questions Welcome

Sourdough, you might try the Hampton Inn high-rise at 5821 Richmond Hwy, just across the Alexandria city boundary (technically in Fairfax County), 703/329-1400, toll-free reservations for the entire chain, 800/426-7866. I'm sure they have a courtesy shuttle to the nearest Metro stop (Huntington), less than 5 minutes away. That's just one stop beyond the King St. stop, which is the closest to Old Town Alexandria. To downtown DC, the Metro trip is about 30 minutes. All Hampton Inns have a free breakfast.

Be aware, though, that the hotel sits square in the middle of one of the world's largest ongoing highway construction projects, the approach ramps for the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge crossing the Potomac River. Huge spiraling curved ramps everywhere, just like being next to a rollercoaster. The most scenic aspect of the site is the Chrysler/Jeep dealership directly across the road. No traffic on the unfinished ramps yet, of course, but I have no idea about construction noise. You might try some hard bargaining about the rate.

There are several other ancient motels strung further down Richmond Hwy (US 1), but believe me, they are not places you'd want to stay. An old-style "motor court"-type motel that looks somewhat better is the Carriage House Motel, diagonally across the road from the Hampton Inn, but I've never been inside it and know absolutely nothing about it.

Hotels in Old Town Alexandria itself, near the King St. station, probably are pricier than you'd like, such as the Hilton or the Marriott Suites. On the other hand, weekend rates can be quite a bit lower, as these are mostly business hotels. Other hotels technically in Alexandria all are on I-95 and not really convenient to Metro, although some may offer a shuttle service too.

Hope this helps.

Alexandria, VA
3. Re: Questions Welcome

Sourdough, a correction: The other motels referred to in my last paragraph are on I-395.

texas
4. Re: Questions Welcome

How far is it from Alexandria or a shopping area to Mt. Vernon Estate. My daughter and I want to shop while my husband and son take the tour.

Alexandria, VA
5. Re: Questions Welcome

3patch9, see my response on the separate thread you opened.

WI
reviews: 10
6. Re: Questions Welcome

Hoftraveler,

Can you tell me how far the Radisson Old Town is from the nearest Metro stop? ALso how close this property is to all of the shops in Old Town? I can get a very good price on this hotel but i do not care to be too far out of the way. We will be coming from Baltimore and dropping our car off at DCA, and I assume that the metro will take us from DCA to somewhere close to the hotel.

Thanks much in advance for offering your advice

Beerhere

Alexandria, VA
7. Re: Questions Welcome

Unfortunately, Beerhere, it's not all that close, but the hotel does have a shuttle van to and from the Metro and also (I think) to and from the center of Old Town.

Specifically, the Radisson "Old Town" 's at least 12 blocks from the Braddock Rd. Metro station, and I'm not at all sure the local bus service has a direct route between them. To the center of Old Town is about 10 longish blocks. But local taxicabs aren't all that expensive -- probably about $5 from the Metro station. And the hotel shuttle to and from the center of Old Town might be sufficient.

Come to think of it, the hotel shuttle also will pick you up at National Airport, so you could drop off your car there and arrange for a shuttle pickup at the dropoff lot.

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 6
8. Re: Questions Welcome

On the weekends, isn't there free Dash bus service from King St metro to Market Square? I think so. If it is during the week, the bus is 1.25. Nice, clean and AC!!!

Alexandria, VA
9. Re: Questions Welcome

Sorry to bring disappointing news re the DASH bus -- Fakename is correct, but the so-called Old Town Radisson is 10 long blocks from Market Square.

WI
reviews: 10
10. Re: Questions Welcome

Thanks for your help!