We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

Which Alta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 4
Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

Hi,

I'm 33 and single. My female friend and I want to take a ski vacation this winter. I need lessons and she doesn't. I've skied a few times on East Coast ice. In terms of affordability we can go mid-low range. But I think we want to avoid having to rent a car if at all possible, and we want to be where single guys in the 25-40 age range are. We want to have a good time!

Any suggestions? :)

alvinut
1. Re: Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

Alta has great skiing, but zero nightlife. Go instead to nearby Park City, which has three ski mountains to choose from, plus a town full of great restaurants and bars. You could also consider any of the several well known ski towns in Colorado - especially Aspen, Vail or Breckenridge. Whistler in Canada would also be a good choice.

Park City is easiest to get to (40 minutes from SLC), though you may be able to find direct flights to Aspen or Vail. There are shuttles from DEN, SLC and YVR to the ski towns, and all those resorts have extensive free bus service that makes getting around easy without having to rent a car.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
reviews: 18
2. Re: Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

Greetings Livy,

Welcome to the Rockies. The obvious choice is staying at Park City at a place like the Sky Lodge. The problem is it is not in the mid to low range of affordability. You may find something further away from the Historic District. You wouldn't need a car in Park City because there is a free shuttle that goes between Main Street, all three of the Park City ski resorts, and around town. There are also cabs. It would just cost money to get to PC, unless the accommodations provided a shuttle. PC will have a lot of guys in your age range traveling together. Snowboarding trips are more of a guy thing than girl thing, so the odds will be heavily in your favor... Check the classified section of KSL.com for discounted lift tickets. I've used it a few times and scored great deals. Or many rental shops will have discounted tickets too. Park City is definitely more of a scene, but Alta/Snowbird will by far have the most scenic views and best skiing.

The other option would be to stay in downtown Salt Lake and take Trax and a UTA bus up Big Or Little Cottonwood Canyon to Brighton/Solitude or Alta/Snowbird. There are plenty of reasonable hotels but then you would also be paying for public transit and commuting to the resorts.

Brighton is the least expensive resort in the area and tends to attract a lot of college age skiers and riders. No apres ski scene. You could go to the downtown SLC bars in the evening, places like Gracies, Green Pig, Keys on Main, Bar X, Beer Hive and Bourbon House. If you are in town on a weekend, more people will be out. SLC is a 9-5 suburban type town, so it's fairly quite on weekdays unless you know where the hot spot is.

PS. In general, guys in Utah aren't as aggressive as the ones you're used to on the East Coast. You may have to initiate. Have fun.

Here are a couple of guides to look through

http://www.visitparkcity.com

http://www.visitsaltlake.com

Edited: 12:01 am, September 12, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
3. Re: Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

Failed to mention the commute times...

From the Salt Lake airport to Park City is about 40 minutes and from downtown SLC to the Cottonwood Canyons using public transit would take 60-80 minutes. In a car, 40 minutes.

All three of the PC resorts are within 4 miles of Main Street.

Washington DC...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

Thanks, Shake801 and Alvinut!

I think we are perhaps less drinking/dancing party girls but lets hang out and have nice conversation over a glass of wine types. I plan on buying ski lessons but it wouldn't be bad if a nice ski bum felt inclined to teach me a little on the side and make friends too :) I do want to improve my skiing skills - I've only been a hand full of times. We plan on staying for about a week or so. I'd prefer to be somewhere where we'd roll out of bed and just walk to the slopes, have a nice hot tub to come back to.

USA
reviews: 6
5. Re: Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

Very good advice from Shake and Alvinut.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
6. Re: Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

All of the resorts will have a couple of places to drink wine and get dinner except for Brighton. But as noted, the Salt Lake resorts are more on the subdued side. But you would be right there to ski in the morning. Park City will have more options for nightlife and mountain lodging and way more people around, but will probably be more pricey too. If you're outgoing and initiate you may find your ski bum instructor friend. But do note the saying out west, "There are no friends on a powder day."

Edited: 7:49 pm, September 19, 2013
7. Re: Best Place for a mid-30s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Ski Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, February 10, 2015