We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin with Kids. Where to stay? SoCo any good?

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Austin with Kids. Where to stay? SoCo any good?

Hi,

Our family of 6 (2 kids 1 and 4 yrs, parents and granparents) are planning to drive for 3 days to Austin. Is the Soco area any good for families? We are looking at renting a property through VRBO but would like an area that is safe and not with ultra loud music.

Any help on which areas we should be looking at are appreciated

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Lampasas, Texas
reviews: 94
1. Re: Austin with Kids. Where to stay? SoCo any good?

SoCo is a kinda catch all street. Lot's of shops and restaurants and food trucks, not as many food trucks as there used to be. Not really sure how much 4 and 1 year olds will like it. I do see lots of families when we go. I guess it depends on the kids. It will be hot in the afternoons. Basically walk up and down the street, if you are just browsing it doesn't take much time to go through. Now that I think of it there is a Candy/malt shop, it's pretty eclectic mix on on SoCo, I can't remember the name, but it has everything you could imagine as far as candy treats. There are some small zoos in Austin, well really wildlife rescue, one with Lions, Tigers, etc. You can drive down South Congress before you decide to stop, it's open to traffic 24/7. We usually park behind a church on the street, it's close to a pizza place and one of the those sliver cupcake food trucks.

Edited: 2:20 pm, June 07, 2014
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 41
2. Re: Austin with Kids. Where to stay? SoCo any good?

With children that young I'd suggest you consider a quieter area. Perhaps look in something near Zilker Park. It would put you near a great playscape for the little ones to run off some of their energy. SoCo is very close to Zilker so it would be an easy drive for enjoying the shops and foods over there.

I notice you're from Houston and accustomed to the heat but it can still be hard on the little ones and maybe the grandparents too so I think you'll be limiting your time simply walking up and down browsing SoCO/

Welcome to Austin!

austin, tx
reviews: 10
3. Re: Austin with Kids. Where to stay? SoCo any good?

Stay in the Zilker or Tarrytown area if you can. Go swimming at Barton Springs, get snow cones at Sno Beach, play putt putt at Barton Springs Mini golf, eat lunch and feed the fish at Hula Hut, take an early morning walk to feed the ducks on the hike and bike trail, take the little train or rent bikes and ride the trail, cool off at the Bob Bullock IMax and museum, see the underground caverns at Inner Space Caverns, we have a little aquarium, but it's not much, ride indoor go carts, visit the capitol, rent a pontoon on Lake Travis, visit Main Event for indoor fun, Please don't go to the rescue zoo. If you have been to a major zoo, this is a long drive and will sadly disappoint. Hope that helps!

Reply to: Austin with Kids. Where to stay? SoCo any good?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted