We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBQ joints around downtown area

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Merced, CA
reviews: 54
BBQ joints around downtown area

Hi! I am headed to Austin for 3 days later this month for a conference. I will be staying at the conference hotel- Hyatt on Congress/Lady bird lake area. Of course, I have heard so much about the bbq and want to try it out. Since the conference schedule is pretty packed with activities during days and evenings, I was wondering if someone could recommend some bbq joints in the vicinity (walking distance from Hyatt). I dont mind waiting an hour or so for some good food. Also, I am assuming since the conference is during the week wait times are not going to be atrocious for some of these places. Thanks in advance!

16 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 16
1. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

Iron Works is the closest.

Edited: 10:41 pm, June 05, 2014
2. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

Iron works is good and within walking distance

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 159
3. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

Downtown restaurants are really busy for weekday lunches, but maybe less so for dinner.

Franklin BBQ is considered by many to be the best in town/in the entire country, and its line for lunch starts forming at 8:00am most days. It's not within walking distance of your hotel though, and it's not open for dinner.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 53
4. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

Mr. Ted have you eaten at Franklin? With so much good barbecue in our general area, I find it hard to justify the wait and I just haven't bothered yet.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 159
5. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

Octoboy, I have not. I really don't even eat BBQ. After being a vegetarian for almost a decade, I just can't imagine eating a meal that is nothing but meat, even though I do eat meat now. I'm a bad Texan. I also just can't fathom spending half my day waiting in line for lunch.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 16
6. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

I have. I was in line three times. First time out of food went to Mueller's, great BBQ. Second time in line missed food by 5 people. Third time in line, success of course arrive at 9 AM to eat lunch. It is the most tender brisket that I have ever eaten, pork ribs were just average. I found that Muellers Brisket had a more smoky flavor that I prefer, Mueller Beef ribs are heaven on earth, pork rib average.

Austin
reviews: 7
7. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

Iron Works and Lambert's are the closest. Lambert's is more upscale, but is also good. It's open for lunch until 2:30 and then closes and opens again for dinner at 5:30. If you ever come back and have a car, I would recommend Freedman's Bar. I think they are currently serving brisket as good, if not better than Franklin, and their pork ribs are hands down way better. Micklethwait also puts out some really quality BBQ from a trailer.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 32
8. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

You can walk out of the south east corner of the Austin Convention Center and be at Iron Works in less than 5 minutes, They offer counter service and it moves quickly. Enjoy! If you're lucky they'll even have peach cobbler for dessert!

We haven't made it to Franklin's. I'm sure its good but there's lots of good barbecue all around Austin!

Welcome to Austin!

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 125
9. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

There is also Stubb's a few blocks up on Red River.

10. Re: BBQ joints around downtown area

Franklin's brisket is worth the wait. I try BBQ all over the country and it is hands down the best!

Edited: 11:42 pm, June 08, 2014
Reply to: BBQ joints around downtown area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted