We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
reviews: 1
5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

We are 2 adults staying at the Radisson Hotel in Downtown Austin during July.

Would appreciate any advise on the Hotel, What to see and do, Where to eat etc.

Thanks in advance

Georgetown, Texas
reviews: 99
1. Re: 5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

As you have read over the Austin forum, you have probably seen that there are so many things to do and see. Much will depend on your own interests, ages, time available. Here are just a few recommendations- you will see plenty of them.

One of the advantages of staying at the Radisson is being right by the Congress Street bridge where the bats fly out at sunset. WHile you can see them while sitting on the TGIFriday patio, I think it is much more interesting and impressive to go down to the viewing area by the Austin American- Statesman building.

Texas in July is HOT so Barton Springs and Zilker Park is a must, at least once during your stay if not every day! (www.texasoutside.com/bartonpool.htm)

We like to stop at Sandy's for frozen custard and burgers.

Take a tour of the state capitol and/or the Bob Bullock museum- both very interesting palces. I especially like the capitol building- it is beautiful and COOL.

If you like beer, there are quite a few places to sit back and sip one while people watching. We like the Aussie Bar and Grill where they play volleyball (just south of the river on Barton Springs). We also like the Ginger Man (good selection) , Little Woodrows (great patio)and Fox and Hound (great rooftop).

Just walk down 6th St. to find all sorts of bars with live music- it is a fun experience everytime. (www.6street.com) We like to eat Cajun at Jazz then wander over to the Blind Pig or Maggie Mae's to sit on the roof and sip beer while watching the folks meander around down below. If you have never been to Austin, I think you will be amazed at the amount and variety of music here.

We like Threadgills, south of the river, for home cooking, gospel Sunday brunch and the beer garden- check out their website for who is playing when. (www.threadgills.com)

Austin
2. Re: 5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

Howdy again!

One thing I wonder is whether you like Mexican food, or Tex-Mex; or if you are interested in trying either of those cuisines. The Mexican food downtown includes Manuel's on the Avenue (Congress) and Las Manitas Avenue Cafe (also on Congress). That would give you a contrast between Tex-Mex and what some call "interior Mexican" cuisine. There's also a great upscale South American restaurant not far from rhe Radisson, Dona Emilia's. If you like seafood, you are literally next door to a good restaurant, the Shoreline Grill.

You may want to verify whether you have lake view rooms at the Radisson, although the town view rooms are also stunning at nighttime.

I'll try to write some more; can you tell us what your interests are (music, sight-seeing, food, etc.)?

Austin
3. Re: 5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

P.S. I should have clarified that I'd have written about more places but Poodle already hit them all!

Northern Ireland
4. Re: 5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

Hi

Thanks for the help.

We have never been to Austin before and are in our 30's. We want to try anything interesting and eat new foods. We especially want to do something really Texan. We have been hearing about the Alamo? Where is that and how far from our Hotel? Also how far is our hotel from 6th Street?

We are interested in relaxing, good food but not very expensive, beer and county music.

Is there anything else I should know about like mosquitoes etc.

Really appreciate the help.

reviews: 6
5. Re: 5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

The Alamo is in San Antonio, about an hour or so from Austin, so a rental car would be in order.

However, you're a few blocks from Sixth Street, which is a nighttime venue. Some daytime options have been mentioned, such as Barton Creek. For some Texas history, you could check out the Bob Bullock History Museum, which is just south of UT on Martin Luther King Blvd. (I believe you can see something of the Alamo there.) Stereotypical Texas stuff isn't in downtown Austin much. I'm assuming you're thinking of cowboys and trail drives. Austin's a bit more cosmopolitan than that. But the museum will show you some of that stuff. The Capitol, which is on 11th Street has tours, and you'll find some interesting Texas history there.

For tastes of Texas, you'll want to try the Mexican food ttlms mentioned. You should also try some barbecue. One venue in walking from your hotel is Ironworks. I'm sure there are others nearby. (Someone help me here.)

Mosquitos--you shouldn't have a problem downtown. They don't hang out in cities too much. Just be sure to cheer the bats on when they come out to help us out here in the burbs. ;-)

Your main concern will be heat--lots and lots of heat. Right now we've been getting some rain, so it's cool, but typically July is rocket-hot. Be sure to drink lots of water and either swim or take in some air conditioned venues during the day. And don't forget the sunscreen.

Have fun!

Houston
6. Re: 5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

Hello, I was a student at UT for 4 1/2 years so here are some suggestions.

Go see the Capitol if u have any interest in that kind of stuff. There's also the state museum and a new art museum close to the campus.

Take a drive to west austin for some nice hill country scenery - go eat at the Oasis for a great sunset and views.

There's tons of outdoor activities to do: Barton springs (outdoor pool fed from underground springs, Barton Springs botantical garden, Zilker park, Canoeing, Lake Travis (water sports or just hanging out).

To beat the heat - you could take a daytrip to Schitterbahn waterpark(s), or go tubing down the river in San Marcos - 45 min away

At night go to 6th, 5th, and 4th street to take in the bars, clubs, live music, whatever floats your boat..

San Marcos, a huge shopping outlet is 40 min away. San Antonio and the Riverwalk are 50min to an 1hour away- great for a daytrip.

Eats- Saltlick for BBQ, Trudy's for tex mex food and the best Mexican martinis.. too many to name...

hope this helps

Austin, TX
reviews: 2
7. Re: 5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

I'd recommend Salt Lick BBQ (you'll have about 30 minutes out to the country but it will be a memorable experience. Also, they don't sell beer at Salt Lick but everybody brings beer with them in a cooler...part of the experience.

Go to South congress to an Italian Restaurant called Vespaio. It's absolutely WONDERFUL.. It's very crowded so i'd recommend calling first for need reservations. Also walk around south congress in the location of Vespaio....there's lots of funky shops and music venues.

Check out Katzes restaurant on w 6th street for breakfast or late night munchies (open 24 hours)

Hopefully you like live music....

Go to these websites to check out what bands/activities are happening on any day:

www.austinchronicle.com

austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/…

www.austin360.com

I like to just walk around downtown between 6th streets and 4th streets and just step into bars that look fun and have have some sort of good music coming out the door.

If you want to get out of austin for a day trip check out the riverwalk in San antonio or go tubing on the Quadalupe river in New Braunsfels.

I hope this helps.......

8. Re: 5 days in Austin - what to do, Where to eat, what to see.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 16, 2009