We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next best hotel area near downtown, 6th street

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Next best hotel area near downtown, 6th street

The hotels in downtown are not in my budget and I'd prefer a 4 star hotel. What is the next best and closest area near downtown, 6th street? We are driving from Houston so transportation is not an issue. Also, how is parking in downtown?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 53
1. Re: Next best hotel area near downtown, 6th street

I'm a big fan of Priceline and Hotwire especially if exact location is not a problem - usually get 4-star at a reasonable price.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 144
2. Re: Next best hotel area near downtown, 6th street

Parking downtown is a challenge to say the least. There are some surface lots, and parking garages, but parking rates have skyrocketed in the last few years. Expect to pay at least $10 - $15 to park downtown a weekend night. Staying downtown and being within walking distance to the bars, clubs, music venues, and restaurants is really your best bet. As Octoboy noted, you could use Priceline or Hotwire, or some other opaque site to get a four star downtown for less. Most of the nicer hotels are downtown, so if you stay outside of the downtown area to get a lower rate, you are going to be a not as nice hotel. There is a new-ish Westin at the Domain, that may be four star, or close. The Domain is good for shopping and there are some nice restaurants there, but it's not very Austin-y, and you'll have to drive to get downtown.

Houston, Texas
3. Re: Next best hotel area near downtown, 6th street

Thanks for your post! I just won a bid on Priceline at the Radisson in Downtown for $115/night. I wasn't able to get 4 stars, but 3 1/2 will do.

Lampasas, Texas
reviews: 75
4. Re: Next best hotel area near downtown, 6th street

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30196-d217734-…

this is what you are looking for on Congress on 7th, one block from 6th street. We pricelined it for $90.00.

mk

5. Re: Next best hotel area near downtown, 6th street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, January 06, 2014