We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Austin have seasonal allergies

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Do Austin have seasonal allergies

Hi

We are staying in bay area from last 10 years. My son have some seasonal allergies, so we are planing to move Austin. Can any pls advise is there are seasonal allergies.

Any feedback count a lot.

Thanks

Katrina

Austin, Texas
reviews: 34
1. Re: Do Austin have seasonal allergies

Yes. Austin is quite famous for our seasonal allergies. With our mild climate there's never really a seaon without allergens of some kind in the air. They are year-around. Right now, inspite of little rain, molds are high to very high. Spring and fall you get grasses,weeds and trees, winter is famous for "cedar fever". The weather forecasts regularly report the allegy levels.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 6
2. Re: Do Austin have seasonal allergies

Yes, we are known for our horrible allergy areas and Austin is bad. Here are some articles:

Austin, Texas:

Allergy Capital of the World!

Many places in the United States claim the title of "allergy capital" because people in the area suffer significant symptoms. Austin is usually rated in the top 5 worst places for allergies. Different geographic regions have different predominant pollens and seasons. For instance, in the Midwest, Fall "hayfever" (caused by ragweed pollen) may be especially severe in August and September until the first freeze. In fact, most of the US has Fall (weeds) and Spring (trees and grass) pollen seasons.

Austin is unique in having 3 distinct pollen seasons. In the Fall, ragweed and other weeds release pollen from mid August to early November. This season is much longer than in other parts of the country. In the Spring, Oak and other trees like Ash, Elm and Pecan pollinate from February to early June. Grasses pollinate from March through September. The hot, dry, summer weather often kills off much of the grass, so some years there is very little pollen in July and early August.

In the Winter, Mountain Cedar pollen season extends from December to February, and is unique to Central Texas. Cedar pollen counts in Central Texas are the highest pollen counts of any plant anywhere in the world. Cedar allergy, referred to as "cedar fever," can be intense and debilitating. On days of very high pollen counts many cedar allergic people can't go outdoors without experiencing severe symptoms. Some people must miss work or school, and can't get good control of their symptoms despite taking lots of medication.

austinallergies.com/Lake_Austin_Asthma_&_All…

kxii.com/home/headlines/Experts_worst_allerg…

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Midland, Austin
reviews: 8
3. Re: Do Austin have seasonal allergies

During the years I lived in Austin, I only had one bad Cedar Fever day. Some days, during the peak Cedar season, the pollen is visible in the air and coats cars with a yellow dust.

I actually have more trouble with the dust in west Texas, where I live most of the time. Austin is a relief on my allergies and going back West my sinsuses feel bad after just 24 hours.

The only real way to see what effects the Austin environment will have on someone is to experience it.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 166
4. Re: Do Austin have seasonal allergies

Austin is certainly not the place to come to get away from seasonal allergies. Almost everyone I know sees an allergist. I'm only really allergic to the ragweed in the late summer/early fall, so it's not too terrible for me, but I know others who suffer year-round.

CA
5. Re: Do Austin have seasonal allergies

Thanks all for your advise . We are having debate on Austin or Plano. Pls help me to decied between Plano and Austin on the bases of allergies and job options. Looking at above mails looks like allergies are more bad in Austin.

Thanks

Katrina

Austin, Texas
reviews: 34
6. Re: Do Austin have seasonal allergies

I am a poster child for allergy shots, have been getting them for over 20 years,, grew up in Los angeles, went to college at Davis, lived in the Bay Area, lived in Nevada, we've been in Austin over a year now and I haven't had to start allergy shots again, yet.... I probably will start again to play it safe. Factors would be what kinds of allergies are experienced, how severe they are, etc. It can take a few years for allergies to a new area to start up. You should visit both places and see which appeals to you more, not decide based on where other people may have more severe allergies. Each allergy sufferer is unique and their triggers and reactions are unique.