We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TexasHam and other Austin-ites

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
TexasHam and other Austin-ites

Hey, you seem to know quite a bit on the Austin area. I'll be out there the first week in September to check it out. I'm thinking about relocating. I will not be able to afford to live right in the hub so I'll have to look at surrounding communities. Round Rock, Pflugerville & Leander all seem to be affordable. How are their reputations, etc.? I'd really appreciate any input from you or others

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 9
1. Re: TexasHam and other Austin-ites

Hey ekayea! I'm a former Austin-ite, but I did live there for 11 years and visit often. The areas you mentioned are more affordable than living closer to downtown, but there's the issue of traffic involved with commuting. Many new highways and roads are being built to help with traffic, and if you plan to stay for a while, conditions will get much better. I lived in Leander for a while and did not like it. Good thing i was just renting a house! The neighborhood was ok, but just too cookie cutter for me. Also, the traffic on 183 (the main highway from the northwest to downtown) was always hiddeous and drove me nuts! Round Rock would be great if you worked at Dell or some business on the north side of Austin. Round Rock - to me - is a mass of strip centers surrounded by nice to average neighborhoods. it can be a good place to live - i know a couple who have lived there for ten years and love it! I never found anything in Pflugerville that thrilled me, but times might have changed. You can also find decent places to live in various neighborhoods from 290 (aka Ben White) to Buda. You can still find very nice and fairly new homes in decent neighborhoods with large trees, nearby parks, etc. at affordable prices. The commute on I-35 is not fun, but I found other north-south routes by taking South Congress or Manchaca or Lamar......there's always another way.

The bottom line is that you'll have to just drive around and see what feels right for you. Good luck with your search and welcome to Texas!

Kansas
2. Re: TexasHam and other Austin-ites

Thanks so much for the information. We plan to drive around and check out the areas but it is always nice to know the 'dirt' before going. Thanks again!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 4
3. Re: TexasHam and other Austin-ites

I live 30 minutes (20 miles) north of Austin and drive I 35 to work. If I leave by 6:30am the traffic isn't bad and if I head home by 4:00, likewise. Austin proper has some affordable neighborhoods, but where you live should depend on where you work. I work on the north side of Austin so living north makes sense. The city is spread out and the roads are all busy during rush hour. If schools are important to you, that's another factor to consider as there is quite a variation in quality depending on the neighborhood.

The areas of Round Rock and Pflugerville are spread out too, so there are good and bad parts of each of these communities. Which area you pick depends on what is important to you.

Roswell, New Mexico
reviews: 46
4. Re: TexasHam and other Austin-ites

Just flew in from Austin today, and have to say that traffic is certainly out of hand on the 183 corridor. I wouldn't look out towards Leander unless the construction approaches completion. As for affordability, what about living closer in and driving a little car? I suspect the gas, wear and tear on the car, etc... might even the equation just a bit.

Austin, TX.
reviews: 21
5. Re: TexasHam and other Austin-ites

You don't want to live in ANY neighborhood north or south that requires driving I-35 every day. US 183 to the north is fine if you are south of RR 620.

The cheaper areas are going to be located generally on the east side of I-35, but not within 5 miles of downtown. Count on spending $100.00+ per square foot for pretty much any decent home within a 45 minute commute to downtown.