We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Austin for the weekend, deciding btwn these...

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Going to Austin for the weekend, deciding btwn these...

I've been reading the boards and researching hotels.

I've found comparable internet rates for these hotels:

Omni, Steven Austin Intercontinental and the Hyatt.

It will just be my husband and myself hanging out for the weekend. We have never been and are going to celebrate our anniversary. We already know we can't afford the 4 Seasons, Driskell, San Jose :-( so I thought the above three would still be decent hotels to enjoy. We wil be driving from Houston so will have the car as well. I have noticed high parking rates for the SA Intercontinental, grrr, but oh well.

thanks for any advice :-)

Michelle

Austin, TX.
reviews: 21
1. Re: Going to Austin for the weekend, deciding btwn these...

I would select the Hyatt as it will give you much more of an "Austin" feel than the others. Omni and SFA could just as well be located in downtown Dallas or, well, Houston. The Hyatt is surrounded by Lake Austin, and Auditorium shores (park area) and the others are simply downtown building with views of other buildings.

The Hyatt has a nice atrium area with Hill Country feel, nice bar and a tremendous view of Lake Austin as well as the Austin Skyline at night. You can probably get upgraded to either a full or partial river view room at no cost. The higher floor, the better.

There is a nightly river cruise just outside the Hyatt to look at the bats flying out from the Congress Avenue Bridge. The Hyatt also has a very nice outdoor pool. Check out Las Manitas (just across the bridge on Congress) for breakfast or lunch.

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 20
2. Re: Going to Austin for the weekend, deciding btwn these...

I have no info or knowledge of the Hyatt...however...

We were in the Omni Downtown this weekend and had a great time (see review posted earlier). I would've preferred the SA Intercontinental because we like the bar and food in the Roaring Fork Saloon but the Omni was only $100 on Hotwire (it's usually the only Hotwire 4*Downtown hotel). Parking there was $11 a night for self-parking.

Previous visit, stayed at the San Jose and were really disappointed with the comfort of our suite.

brenham
3. Re: Going to Austin for the weekend, deciding btwn these...

The Hampton Inn Downtown is very nice and in a great location as well! I stayed there a couple of weekends ago- within walking distance from 6th street.

Houston
4. Re: Going to Austin for the weekend, deciding btwn these...

Thanks everyone!

I think we are going to try the Hyatt!!! Steve, I liked your point about we could be anywhere if we stayed at the Intercontinental, but Hyatt feels like Austin!

Now on to planning our eats :-)

Michelle

Houston
5. Re: Going to Austin for the weekend, deciding btwn these...

Well, erase all those plans...my friend just got me a deal at the Marriott on Capitol for $49 a night!!!!! That will save us $267 for the weekend! Not my first choice in hotels, but now we can eat better!

Michelle