We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical Ambiance around Austin

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 2
Historical Ambiance around Austin

I am trying to convice a daughter to attend UT instead of Boston University. She loves Boston because of its unusual ambiance and theatre along with the baseball team, history and historical significance, and feel of old town europe. Am looking for advice and input on where to take her and what to expose her to that will convince her of the the uniqueness of Austin too. Bars are not something that will convince her that she will love the Austin Area so 6th street will be something she will have to experience for herself if I can get her to go to school in Austin and she hates bats. She has been on campus several times and at the capital, but Boston still has the ambiance factor won. She loves history and art and architechture and antiques. Any suggestions on where to go in the area to really display Austins uniqueness and feel? Can include areas and small towns around Austin. Thanks - Hopeful Mom - skeptical_1

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 166
1. Re: Historical Ambiance around Austin

Austin and Boston are very different places with very different vibes. If she has her heart set on Boston for those reasons, it may be difficult to change her mind, especially if she's already been on campus and to the Capitol and didn't fall in love with the place. I think what makes Austin special are the people more than the things to see and do here. I spent 9 years on the East Coast and was happy to get myself back to Texas, but nothing you show her here is going to measure up to what she's expecting of Boston. I know you want to keep her in Texas, my mom wanted me to stay as well, but this may be something that she needs to decide for herself.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 56
2. Re: Historical Ambiance around Austin

MrTed is right. If she's been to campus and The Capitol area, then it seems like there's not much else to discuss. Boston does have history that Austin does not. Plus, as much as Austin is a great music town, it's not a great theater town.

Better that she's happy where she goes and experiences college on her own terms (a large part of the overall experience). You don't want her unhappy and then blaming you for what she should have done.....

Plus, this gives you some extra leverage should you need it ;-)

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 2
3. Re: Historical Ambiance around Austin

Out of state tuition limits going to Boston - am just looking for cool ambiance in the Austin area to make it liveable. What about Fredricksburg and Greune? Anywhere close to the cutesy factor that might make it palatable for her? UT has the right programs, the right $ figure -- she has about decided on her own that it is the right place just trying to find things to expose her to that might make her more content. I know that if she is not happy with the surrounding she still won't be happy but she nor I can pay for Boston tuition. She has never been to the outlying areas that might appeal to her. I've been to some of them but it has been many years ago and didn't know if they were still as antique and historical oriented as they used to be. Thanks for your responses. Have a great day.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 166
4. Re: Historical Ambiance around Austin

I doubt she'll be spending too much time out in the Hill Country as a college student, but there are some great little towns to visit. Fredericksburg is very touristy, with lots of shops selling crafts and antiques, and several nice restaurants. Other neat towns worth exploring are Boerne, Blanco, and Wimberly. All of these places are interesting, but not historic like I think of Boston being. If she's looking for great theater, Houston is only a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Austin with a small, but very active theater district. Lots of smaller shows have premiered in Houston before going on to Broadway.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 3
5. Re: Historical Ambiance around Austin

Here are some things in Austin that might be of interest to your daughter:

The French Legation Museum-built 1840-1841 to house charge de affaires representing country of France in the Republic of Texas.

The Texas State Cemetary-final resting places of many Texas notables including Stephen F.Austin, James Frank Dobie, James Michner as well as 2200 veterans of the Confederacy and their spouses.

The O'Henry Museum

The Umlauf Sculpture Garden

The Eliabet Ney Museum-neoclassiscal studio built in 1892.

The Austin/San Antonio area is steeped in the history of the Republic of Texas. I will try to think of some other places tonight. It has been a few years since I lived in Austin, but I would move back in a heartbeat.

6. Re: Historical Ambiance around Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 09, 2009