We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 66

Which Amarillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 58
Route 66

We are planning our version of a Route 66 journey starting in Chicago and finishing .... Not sure yet! Because we have already been to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas we won't be going there but my husband is keen to go to St Louis. So from St Louis would it make sense to stop at Amarillo and Tulsa or can we make do with one of these? We don't mind driving and often cover 400 miles in a day - we would rather do this than stop after only an hour to spend a night somewhere we aren't particularly keen on seeing!! We had thought we would spend a few nights in Phoenix (although we have been there)! Albuquerque sounds interesting, so we may stop there. So you are asking what is my question? We've done LA and Santa Monica, so what would be a great place to end our trip? Santa Barbara or Carmel/Monterey ( 2 or 3 nights in a luxury hotel before flying home!! ) secondly should we go in July or September (that would have to be mid September into October. Any advice on itinerary and/or suggestions on hotels and when to go much appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 159
1. Re: Route 66

Tulsa and Amarillo are 365 miles apart, so I'm not sure it's a one or the other thing. That's almost a full day of driving, especially if you plan to make any stops along the way. Neither are what I would consider "destinations", but you may end up stopping for the night in or near both. I've never been to Tulsa, but there are some neat places in and near Amarillo, so it would certainly be worth a stopover on your road trip, if that's what you're asking.

Albuquerque is very interesting, as is Santa Fe, so I would definitely add those to your itinerary. There are also some lovely places in Arizona, though I'm not sure I would count Phoenix as one. Sedona, a few hours north of Phoenix, is beautiful. I love the California coast, especially the Monterey area, so I would want to end up there, if I had a choice. Santa Barbara is also a beautiful coastal town though.

I would definitely make this trip at the end of September/beginning of October. July is a busier season in many tourist areas in the U.S., and it's going to be hot in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. You should post this question in the other state's forums if you haven't already so that you can get views of other local experts.

UK
2. Re: Route 66

Thanks very much. We actually don't mind the heat - we thought September October it might be too cool on the coast... We did Sedona last time we visited Phoenix and yes it's beautiful but this time we probably wouldn't stay there. I will post in the other forums as I wouldn't want to end up on the coast feeling chilly!!! Do you know the temperatures there in October?

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 159
3. Re: Route 66

We did a road trip up the California coast at the beginning of October one year and it was absolutely beautiful. It was sunny with day time temps in the 70s every day of the trip. The only time we were chilly was when we were on a whale watching boat on Monterey Bay. The locals on those forums can probably give you a better idea of what to expect though.

UK
4. Re: Route 66

Thanks again - my husband is favouring September/October

Texas
reviews: 140
5. Re: Route 66

The way we've done Rt. 66 trips is by planning around places we want to see along the way such as the Abe Lincoln sites in Springfield, IL and the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, neither of which are strictly Rt. 66 attractions. We don't drive every stretch of the old mother road. But we do like to see the interesting places of the era like the Blue Dome gas station in Tulsa and the Kix on 66 Diner (still a good place to eat) in Tucumcari.

So I recommend that you study the route and decide what you're interested in seeing along or near it. Then see how that fits into the time you have. In addition to the aforementioned, look at Palo Duro Canyon State Park south of Amarillo, Santa Fe (original Rt. 66) and Taos which is a good day trip from SF, and Hubbell Trading Post in Ganado, AZ.

Tulsa has a fine downtown scene in the Brady Arts District where I recommend you stay if it fits in.

Since you have a choice, travel in Sept/Oct. Summer can be extremely hot even in the Midwest. We were in St. Louis one July when it was 106°!

Weather on the California coast is as unpredictable as anywhere. Last summer was mainly cool and wet on the Monterey Peninsula, but perhaps it was the year before. I've been in Monterey in the Fall when it was perfect. So who knows. I would plan on a few days there before departing from San Francisco and hope for the best. The drive along Hwy 1 up the coast is spectacular.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Midland, Austin
reviews: 8
6. Re: Route 66

Absolutely try to get to Albuquerque October 4 through 12 for the balloon fiesta.

I've been in San Francisco in June when the high temperature was under 50° F

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
7. Re: Route 66

September/october is best time for Pacific coast between LA and SF. Often warmer than july.

Already give you this excellent tripreport for a drive on R66:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k5802940…

Reply to: Route 66
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted