We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

Which Allentown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
so. California
reviews: 25
Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

Doing a college tour at Muhlenberg but then would like to get closer to Philadelphia to spend the night, as we have an early morning appointment. Is there a city or recommendation of nice, safe, clean hotel or town or city to stop and stay at?

Thank you!

lehigh valley
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
reviews: 9
1. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

The entire area between Allentown and Philly will be safe. Assuming you are taking the Northeast Extension of the Turnpike hotels around the Quakertown and Lansdale exits would be convenient.

However, rush hour traffic into Philadelphia itself can be subject to traffic tie ups, especially on the Schuykill expressway.

If I were you, I would consider staying closer to your next college tour. If its at Penn or Temple, I would stay in center city Philadelphia

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
reviews: 102
2. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

I agree with brookquarry - I would stay close to your Philadelphia colleges. There are lots of great hotels in downtown Philadelphia. I've had success booking through priceline and you can usually get a discount through the college you are visiting. The traffic going into Philadelphia from up this way is horrible. You can be delayed on any of the main roads with construction/traffic/weather. I'd amend the Phil. college list to ANY of the Philadelphia colleges. None of them are in traffic free areas. I'd recommend the Holiday Inn downtown or the Omni. I see zero benefit of staying out of the city and then dealing with traffic in the morning.

Muhlenberg is minutes away from the turnpike exit, and the only traffic you would encounter would delay you by the most five minutes and that's only if you leave at rush hour. BTW, Muhlenberg is a great college, but it really does reward students who "show the love" so good thing to visit!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
3. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

I have a 2011 Muhlenberg grad. He loved the school. but, if you feel you need to visit other schools, then agree you should just head to Philly and not stay in between. The distance is just not that great. I would rather be driving into the city when traffic is leaving than with rush hour in the morning.

so. California
4. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

Thank you all! We are driving in from Pittsburgh same day so was worried about too long of a day with more driving, but it sounds like sage advice!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
5. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

That is a long day but it is only 90 minutes from A to P so not really talking about much time if you are driving more than 1/2 way no matter what.

Wilmington, Delaware
6. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

There are a few hotels at the Quakertown exit of the Turnpike. They are much closer to A than P, but quite convenient, and relatively inexpensive.

Allentown...
reviews: 224
7. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

Drive time from Allentown to University City is a major crapshoot. I recently stayed at the Homewood Suites in University City and was very happy with it. It's just a few blocks from Penn and Drexel.

FWIW, I also graduated from Muhlenberg (class of 1992) and loved it. Did some grad work at Penn--city life did not agree with me.

so. California
8. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

Thank you all. I've ammended my plans to this: Tour schools in Pittsburgh, then drive and spend night in Bedford. Drive on next morning to Muhlenberg, tour, and then drive to and stay at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, as to be closer to Villanova for morning sports games. Hopefully that's a decent plan!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
reviews: 79
9. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

If the only Philadelphia area college you are visiting is Villanova, your location is okay, but there are better choices- Conshohocken and Plymouth Meeting are both closer, as they are right on I-476. If you are also visiting Penn, Drexel, or Temple, then your current choice will work fine as a compromise.

Allentown...
reviews: 224
10. Re: Hotel in between Allentown and Philadelphia?

The DoubleTree in Plymouth Meeting is very nice, and it's right across the street from the Plymouth Meeting Mall, which has good restaurant and shopping options.