We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

Which Ashland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Maria...
reviews: 67
Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

My adult daughter and I are contemplating a road trip to the Shakespeare Festival next summer (2014). It's pretty overwhelming - where do we begin? We love staying in B&Bs, would love to see a couple of outdoor performances. When should we start booking? What do you recommend for a minimum number of days to stay in the area? Point us in the right direction - thanks so much!

18 replies to this topic
Los Altos...
reviews: 19
11. Re: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

Definitely try to take advantage of the Theater Packages some B&Bs offer but those packages are only offered in the Spring and Fall, not in the summer. osfashland.org/en/…lodging-packages.aspx

Our favorite place is Abigail's Bed & Breakfast www.AbigailsBandB.com They do offer theater packages, the house is beautiful and super clean and they are a short walk to the theaters and their breakfasts are to die for. If you going during the summer months when theater packages are not sold by B&Bs, make sure to book your room as soon as you purchase your theater tickets.

Ashland, Oregon
reviews: 3
12. Re: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

Once you know the dates you'll be in town you should make your reservations, as many places do fill up very quickly. There are lots of great B&Bs in town and it would be hard to go wrong. However, as someone else mentioned you may consider choosing a B&B that is within walking distance of downtown if you'd prefer not to drive too much.

I recommend at least three days in town. Keep in mind that there are no plays on Mondays, so you might use Monday as a travel day.

Aside from OSF, there are many other activities and things to see in the area. Lithia Park offers a beautiful walk alongside Ashland Creek, downtown Ashland is always bustling in the summer with many different shops and restaurants, and there are lots of trails, rivers, and outdoor opportunities if you'd like to get out of town and breathe some fresh air for a bit.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 76
13. Re: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

Ashland is so close to Grants Pass, would you and your daughter have any interest in a Jet Boat ride? Hellgate Canyon Jetboats go out of Grants Pass. They area about 30 minutes from Ashland.

These jetboats are on pontoons and they show you great wildlife while entertaining you at the same time. If you go on a meal ride, the OK Corral is all you can eat food and drink along the river. All boats stop there at once so you get to talk to other riders.

It's wildly popular!

My first Shakespeare Festival was with my youth group from high school. It only gets better.

Have fun!

MrsO

Los Altos...
14. Re: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

We stayed at Maxfield's Vacation Rental---http://www.vrbo.com/302211

reviews: 709
15. Re: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

How was it? Would love to hear about your time there! :).

Edited: 11:23 am, January 10, 2014
Santa Maria...
16. Re: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

Thank you to everyone for your input. We are booked at a B&B for 3 nights in June, and have ordered our theatre tickets. Now we just have to wait!

Santa Maria...
17. Re: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

Update: we have our B&B booked in Ashland for 3 nights, and have tickets to see Into the Woods and Two Gentlemen of Verona. We're including a jet boat ride and and a couple of nights in Bandon based on advice received from my original post. Thank you all for your input!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 76
18. Re: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages

Good you will enjoy your trip.

My first Shakespearean experience was when my high school church group traveled together. It was a really great experience.

m

Reply to: Ashland novices - just in the planning stages
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted