We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip how to make the most of it?

Which Ashland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 15
Quick trip how to make the most of it?

We will be going to Ashland from Portland the 27th and 28th returning back the 29th. I chose the Rodeway Inn for budget reasons and because my brother and I stayed there Spring before last on the way back from SF and it was clean, reasonable and we had a great time at the adjacent Wild Goose Karaoke night. Any transportation to and from DT? I am wondering if we should change the nights to Sunday and Monday to avoid crowds downtown? Or does it really matter? I envision going to Jacksonville the next day(Sunday) to check out the Farmer's Market and browse-Really interested in that area. Ideally lunch would be some spot under shade with a great salad/appetizers and glass of wine where we can people watch. Any recommendations? I was looking at wineries in the immediate area also and couldn't find any events. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place? Nice to find wineries with great expansive views and grounds to stroll around. Yes, time is limited with the Saturday arrival around 3 so may be a little pooped from the drive so day hikes probably won't fit in. Thanks for your input!

14 replies to this topic
Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 300
11. Re: Quick trip how to make the most of it?

The quality at Heaven on Earth, sadly, has taken a dip in recent years -- the Quantity (HUGE cinnamon rolls) is still there -- but there are better options along I-5 for a tasty meal. K&R, however, is still the best snack stop along the way. Ice cream is the big draw in summer, but the burgers, fries, etc. are pretty darn good, too.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
reviews: 21
12. Re: Quick trip how to make the most of it?

We stopped there (Heaven on Earth) the last time we passed through a year ago - great service and the food was wonderful. Just breakfast, including a cinnie. Shrug...

Los Angeles...
reviews: 97
13. Re: Quick trip how to make the most of it?

On our most recent visit to Ashland, we visited the Dana Campbell Vineyards and were very pleased.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

It had lovely grounds to walk across, an outdoor seating area with the most amazing view, as it's up higher on a hill. The wine was great, and the staff was perfect. Knew their stuff, incredibly friendly, and willing to chat. If you're looking to not just stay right in the heart of Ashland but see what's nearby, this is a great choice. They are also the only winery in the surrounding area that has all 5-star reviews.

Oregon
reviews: 15
14. Re: Quick trip how to make the most of it?

Had a great time last year and took some of your suggestions with The Rogue Creamery, Jacksonville, etc. Looove Ashland and that trip, although short, one of the best we have had. We are returning the end of this month for another short trip. We found last time Red Lilly Vineyard and it was amazing. We could take our little flight caddies down to the beautiful stream and sit under the trees and nosh on cheese. I have seen the links to the wineries but it is daunting to find only a couple our time allows. If you know Red Lilly, any comparable? The Dana Campbell Vineyard looks beautiful too...Thanks Michelle.

Reply to: Quick trip how to make the most of it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted