We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

Which Ashland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Camarillo...
reviews: 62
Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

We are camping near Ashland for four days in June because we are viewing a number of plays. There is one day where we have time to tour from early morning to ~7pm. Since we know Crater Lake pretty well, I am looking for another fun outing for myself and my 12 year old son. The Butte Creek Mill looked interesting, especially since we are home-schoolers and like to mix a little learning in with our vacation. I am a DIY person so anything with crafts-people and artisans is wonderful.

(Sorry for the big build-up - finally, here is my question!)

If you had one day to do something fun outside of Ashland - what would it be? Would the Butte Creek Mill + Eagle Point be enough? My son is not much of a hiker unless his friends are along but a historic or hands-on tour would be enjoyable (e.g. six years ago we enjoyed watching the glass blowing at the Gatherings Studio).

Thank you for taking the time to offer us advice!

Kelso, Washington
1. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

Read the post by Peggypcm titled: "Ashland" on this page.

Camarillo...
2. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

Hi. Thanks - I had already read that one when I posted and the suggestions were not historical/crafty/etc... At 12, my son is WAY too young for the wine tasting (since we are not in France) and we are already familiar with Crater Lake. Thanks, anyway!

Ashland, Oregon
reviews: 14
3. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

Butte Creek Mill is well worth the trip. You might want to combine that with a visit to Rogue Creamery in Central Point. roguecreamery.com/store/content/38/History/

There is Jacksonville, where you'll find history museums, old-fashioned candy shops, and short trails related to the gold rush. http://web.oregon.com/hiking/jacksonville.cfm

If Hanley Farm (Central Point, very nearby) is open when you're here, it's a working farm with historic buildings. There are often demonstrations of spinning, etc. taking place. Unfortunately, funding issues have decreased available hours. http://www.sohs.org/properties/hanley-farm

Oregon Caves is another National Park Service location in the area. It is a fairly long drive from Ashland, and I'd rather spend the night there than rush there and back. Caves are very cool (in both meanings) and the Chateau is really interesting and historic. A small stream runs through the main dining room, and the cafe serves old-fashioned milkshakes, etc. http://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm There are campgrounds there as well.

Rafting trips on the Rogue are another option and very likely to appeal to a 12-year-old. There are a couple of places in Ashland right on the plaza that book trips. A bit milder option is the Klamath with Kokopelli, http://www.kokopelliriverguides.com. All are scheduled to get you back in time for a shower and dinner before the evening plays.

Edited: 12:54 am, May 27, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 751
4. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

>>... since we are not in France <<

LOL !

Thanks Fafnerb, you saved me a lot of typing ;-) I might add the teeny tiny ghost town of Buncom:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g28958-d1898…

Camarillo...
5. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

Thank you Fafnerb and Half- Brit! All of that sounds great and I am going to look those sights up right now - thanks, again, for your help. Have a nice holiday weekend.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
6. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

You're most welcome :-)

Camarillo...
7. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

Just wanted to report back - we loved visiting the Butte Creek Mill (fascinating) and the Rogue Creamery was delicious (we brought back an incredible blue cheese, the Reserve, and TouVelle) and the staff was great. Unfortunately the Hanley Farm was not open for tours. Jacksonville is very pretty - most of the historic buildings are now retail stores and restaurants - in addition there were some historic displays (not all of them were open while we were there) you can see while walking around the main part of town.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
8. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

Thanks for your trip report and glad you enjoyed yourselves :-)

Edited: 4:17 pm, June 13, 2013
9. Re: Butte Creek Mill? Other suggestions outside of Ashland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, June 18, 2014