We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unlicensed Vacation Rentals

Which Ashland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Altos...
reviews: 19
Unlicensed Vacation Rentals

I am looking into booking a vacation rental for our family vacation to Ashland. I have read that there are many unlicensed vacation rentals in Ashland. Apparently the city codes does not allow vacation rentals in single-family residential zones and that the city is actively shutting down the unlicensed vacation rentals. I am concerned about losing my deposit, worse yet arriving at a place that it has been shut down. Many of the listings do not provide an address so it is hard to verify their status. Has any one else faced similar situation and does anyone have any suggestion how to make sure the place you are renting is licensed?

2 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
1. Re: Unlicensed Vacation Rentals

Correspond directly with the home owner. Ask for his license number. You might be able to go online to check if it is valid. Paying by credit card offers some protection; even if the home owner cannot process the card himself, he can use PayPal to provide that service.

You are right to be concerned, but you should be able to take steps to protect yourself.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 691
2. Re: Unlicensed Vacation Rentals

In doing a quick google search, I see they've been fighting about this issue in Ashland for at least a year. I find nothing that says "the city is actively shutting down the unlicensed vacation rentals".

I do find where the city council is considering 'loosening' the rules somewhat:

www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article…

That said, kaleberg made some good suggestions.

If you want more information, keep on top of what the Ashalnd city council is doing - I think that article said there is a meeting coming up sometime this week.

Reply to: Unlicensed Vacation Rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted