We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from San Francisco to Ashland

Which Ashland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MD
reviews: 38
driving from San Francisco to Ashland

Hello,

I am going to be driving from the San Francisco area to Ashland in the next couple days. I am wondering if, rather than taking Interstate 5 - and chancing stnow issues, I should take Hwy 101 to 199 - or can route 199 be a problem to deal with snow as well?

Or... is it best not to travel up that way, this time of year, period? I am wondering if I should cancel.

I'm not at all use to tire chains - am from the east coast.

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
reviews: 104
1. Re: driving from San Francisco to Ashland

www.tripcheck.com

This is your website for road and weather conditions/forecasts in Oregon. It shows mostly rain for the next few days over the passes, with some snow at night and higher altitudes over Siskiyou Pass. All of which could change at any moment. The areas between Redding and Yreka, especially in the Shasta Lakes region, can also be nasty in winter.

If you're concerned about the chance of snow in the passes, #199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass (then south to Ashland) is a good option. Much lower altitude. It does have a pretty curvy section east of Jedediah Smith SP where you'll need to watch out for your speed and ice at times.

MD
2. Re: driving from San Francisco to Ashland

Thank you so much for the detailed info and the link! I will check just before I go but it sounds like - even though 2 hours longer - 101/199 may be the better choice.

Thanks again!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 691
3. Re: driving from San Francisco to Ashland

Hayes Hill Summit (the highest point on 199 at about 1,600 feet) is showing snow alongside the road with a clear road. Love those webcams!

Here is the handy-dandy camera for 199 right at the CA/OR border:

www.dot.ca.gov/dist1/d1tmc/1_cam.php?cam=5

That comes from this general page for NW CAlif:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist1/d1tmc/index.htm

If it were me, I'd go 101 to 199. Just less chance of snow. Have a good journey :-)

MD
4. Re: driving from San Francisco to Ashland

Perfect! I will use that link before I go also. I think I will do just that! Go 101 to 199. You are right...Fewer possible snow areas it sounds like.

thank you very much! :)

5. Re: driving from San Francisco to Ashland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, March 27, 2014