We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointed in Ashland, Lithia Park, Emigrant Lake CG

Which Ashland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento, CA
reviews: 2
Disappointed in Ashland, Lithia Park, Emigrant Lake CG

I absolutely love Oregon, and, having heard good things about Ashland, was looking forward to spending the weekend there with my family, camping at Emigrant Lake CG.

First off, I was shocked at how hot it was-- hotter than Sacramento this weekend. It was hard to escape the heat, especially on the parched hills of Emigrant Lake campground, so, we made our way down to Lithia Park. It is a beautiful park-- lots of trees, a nice creek, walking paths. But it didn't take us long not to feel welcome there, or in Ashland itself. My son & his friend rode their longboards down the street that borders the park, on the edge of the street, and were immediately stopped by a park cop telling them they couldn't ride boards "in" the park. My husband & I began walking our dogs on the paths in the park, and were immediately told dogs were not allowed in the park, but that we could walk them on the street that borders the park. I understand dogs not being allowed-- especially when many folks don't pick up after theirs, and seeing a doe & her 2 fawns in the park, I can see where they don't mix. So we split up, my husband walking the dogs on the periphery of the park, while I walked with the kids through the park. My hub took the dogs to the little square downtown, to sit down & wait for us. He was told there, "Dogs aren't allowed in the square or downtown". While walking through the park, I noticed signs that said, "no bikes, etc., etc. etc.", and that, when parking at the edge of the park, you must park forward, not backward. In addition to being turned off by all these rules that put a sour note on any fun to be had, there were many, many homeless-looking people hanging around, not only in the park, but in town. The town was crowded-- very busy with many tourists. Crowds at 100 degrees aren't my cup of tea.

When my husband & I met up later, we sat on the grass by the road at the edge of the park with our dogs, and the same park cop came up and told us our dogs were not allowed there, despite them being on leash, sitting down quietly next to us. Again, I understand dog rules, but I didn't feel welcomed, nor did I enjoy my visit to Ashland. As I told the park cop, "I"ll go back to Bend."

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 761
21. Re: Disappointed in Ashland, Lithia Park, Emigrant Lake CG

>Considering the hundreds of thousands of visitors Ashland gets each year, how come it's almost always first time posters who complain and keep ancient threads of negativity alive?<

Happens in a lot of forums.

Note that the OP - for you new folks that's the Original Poster who started this thread - has not returned anywhere on TripAdvisor in over TWO YEARS.

Sean C and Ashland ORer, since you both live in Ashland it would be great if you could assist this poster with answers to their questions? Just click on the blue link to go to that thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29998-i1002-k5697…

Edited: 4:51 pm, August 23, 2012
Ashland, Oregon
22. Re: Disappointed in Ashland, Lithia Park, Emigrant Lake CG

I am also biased "in favor" of Ashland and what it has to offer. I live here. I have also lived in Eugene. Ashland has many things to offer that few other communities have. Well, every place has its problems, as well. A couple of the minor problems in Ashland are related to the transient and homeless as well as the dogs in the park. Being here and experiencing it daily makes it quite evident. They are both issues still being openly debated within the Ashland community.

I think Mauisam addressed the comments, very well and accurately.

Compared to Ashland, Eugene is a big city? Well, if you believe so... I think it is wonderful you enjoy every visit to the charming village of Ashland. Some of the people here really endeavor to cater to you. Tourism brings a lot of money into the community.

Naive or biased. Yes, I believe your comments seem to be a bit naive and/or biased. At least you're OK with it. :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
reviews: 78
23. Re: Disappointed in Ashland, Lithia Park, Emigrant Lake CG

THIS THREAD IS OVER A YEAR OLD.

If you are interested in parks anywhere, I would post a new thread.

Mrs O

24. Re: Disappointed in Ashland, Lithia Park, Emigrant Lake CG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, October 31, 2012