We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

Maryland
Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

I should have read the many, many reviews of the horrible service from Surf or Sound Realty. But now I can add my own, and a new topic, FALSE ADVERTISING!! So the owners ERIC AND LAURA CAPLINGER, list their house as having wireless. As a business owner it is a deal breaker to have a house without it. Well Pink Pearl the house we rented didn't even have a router. So here is the rest of my week, call everyday, told there's a router and we just don't see it, maintenance comes, can't find router, offers to bring router, oh but there is no service. Spend part of everyday of my vacation being blamed for not seeing router, and told it's my problem and we have to call the company. Promise to call back, never call back. If you've ever dealt with LISA, then you know how rude and dismissive she is. CONNIE and BRIAN, in charge of "guest relations" yes I have to use quotes, because they have no idea what that means, totally blew me off. So after effectively ruining part of everyday of my vacation, I ended with no resolution, and no wireless. These people have no idea what customer service is, and have a combined IQ of my shoe size (women's 7) Everyday I got to tell them how astounded I was at their lack of service, and everyday I was in turn rewarded by being right. Oh right, one day Lisa called me back, to remind me that I was blind and couldn't find the mystery router that wasn't there, and left a message, acting shocked that I wasn't available. I called her back to remind her that I was in fact on vacation, in a vacation rental that she rented. This seemed so shocking to her. But then she works in a vacation rental office as a reservations person, so again, I do understand her confusion. And now after reading all the reviews on people getting scammed, I am super excited and anxiously awaiting my priority mail charging me for the pretend router that I broke!! At this point I'll feel a little left out... I'll keep you posted.

Outer Banks
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
reviews: 51
1. Re: Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

Sorry for your problems, and a reason I use www.renternetusa.com at my rental house. They take care of all issues with WiFi and the rental company does not have to deal with it or the renters. They also can provide a weeks WiFi service if the house rented does not have it. I wonder how much the owners had to do with this. The owners write up and approve the description of the house and it is them that decides what goes in or doesn't. I wonder if SOS called them to ask and verify there was a router and was told there was. That is no excuse for the rude service, but if the owners kept saying it was there, it is advertised and no one else complained previously I can see where there could be some confusion. That's why I love renternet.

NY
reviews: 21
2. Re: Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

In 2011 Surf and Sound kept our $1400+ in rental fees during Irene while the owner of our Home and Realty collected their FEMA funds and our rental fees and went to the bank!!! We also rented 1 home from Midgett and 1 from Surf and Sound that year...Midgett refunded us partially...these Surf or Sound people didnt even pass our sincere letter along to the home owner!!! First, the letter got "lost" for 2 months then Shirley turned it into a get lost type of conversation. Sadly we've been a renter from Surf or Sound for 14 years!!!

When we rented in 2012 we found out from a neighboring owner that Nevins Tuition did get FEMA money. We found out about it and realized they broke all kinds of double dipping laws.

People I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH!!! Go through MIDGETT REALTY or anyone else but these scammers!!!

Now, they are in cahoots with some shadey over priced Photography company sending a stranger to your house to review a photo session...no thanks, I dont need a stranger casing my rental home out.

Be warned...as other have posted here these people are out to make money off of you at ANY cost. This Mirlo Court Rodanthe area used to be a wonderful hidden jewel of a place to rent from ....now its a money making scheme like the Jersey shore...take your family up by Corolla!

The quality of service from Surf and Sound has decreased year after year, after getting a run around from them last year we vowed to take our business somewhere else. Strangely their check-in times get later and later every year so they basically STEAL a days vacation right out from under you.

These types of forums are where we the consumer can warn others and hopefully make the marketplace a better place for all. I along with 20+ other people are disgusted with this company. And need to make them listen with their greedy open wallets!!!! It seems like God has unleashed his wrath on the wicked people of this area, no tears lost here for this company.

Below is our letter to the Nevins Tuition owner from 2011:

To Whom it May Concern;

Good Morning, I am writing this letter firstly to hope that everyone in Rodanthe endured the hurricane Irene as best and safe as possible!!! My family and friends made it as close as Norfolk, Virginia hoping to get onto to the island and lived in 5 different motel/hotels that week, unfortunately the hurricane struck the hardest outside your doorstep and we were unable to get to Rodanthe.

That being said would like to kindly ask the owner of Nevins's Tuition rental home in Rodanthe either a refund of our August 27th-September 3rd weeks rental fee or if they could give us the same week next year at no cost (8/25/12 - 9/1/12). We absolutely love your wonderful home and have stayed there many times (2008 (Perez), 2009, 2010, 2011) to name a few and have rented under a different name a few times. We have ALSO been a customer of Surf or Sound Realty since 1999! :-)

We would love to continue our tradition of renting Nevins Tuition, please understand we are not 1 time renters, we take pride in your home and take time to make sure everything is as it was when we leave.

This was a difficult period for all of us, all we ask is that the owner consider a fair gesture to VERY loyal customers! God bless, and thank you for your time!

Outer Banks
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
reviews: 51
3. Re: Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

You never mentioned, but did you not have the travel insurance coverage?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

Clearly the original poster and SSMXPL are one and the same. The sentence structure and !! are the same

NY
reviews: 21
5. Re: Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

Clearly not! Do some homework. Better yet go rent from Surf and Sound LOL!

maryland
reviews: 2
6. Re: Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

SSMXPL,

"...now it is a money making scheme like the Jersey Shore..." not sure that was called for.

Triangle, Virginia
7. Re: Please do not ever, ever rent from Surf or Sound Realty

I was just about to call to rent a home from Surf or Sound Realty for a week in September-checking on 2 of their homes but now I am afraid to as I definitely do not want to spoil my 60th birthday party week! I plan to call Hatteras Island Rentals and Outer Beaches Realty. I hope I fair better there.

Thanks for the heads up---rudeness and strange men roaming around my rental property is not my idea of a vacation.