We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

Roanoke, VA
Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

We've found a house we like listed by Surf and Sound, but hear so many bad reviews of this company. Can anyone recommend another agency?

Pittsburgh
reviews: 185
1. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

I've been in about 10 rented houses through Midgett Realty (either renting myself or relative) and have always thought they do a great job. I personally have never rented from anyone else, as they have great service. Houses are clean, and any problems are fixed ASAP.

Friends of mine have rented through Hatteras Realty, and I've stayed in a couple houses. They were also in great shape. Can't comment on service as I've never dealt with them, but the people went with say they're great.

NJ
reviews: 32
2. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

We have rented through Outer Beaches Realty and Hatteras Realty. Both offered very good customer service and came through when we needed help...with an appliance not working and exterminator. Sometimes the bad reviews about the help are not fair...remember, this is an island, it is very hot and 'guests' can be rude to the help as well. I recommend both of these companies.

Toms River, New...
3. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

our last three houses were rented from Surf or Sound and while i did read all of the negative comments from others i can assure you that our experiences were good, with only an excess garbage problem from the previous tenants last year. Although we made 3 telephone calls to the office, we ended up having to pick up the garbage ourselves. Other than that, all has been fine. Other years we have rented from Hatteras Realty and have only had one minor indident with them.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 25
4. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

We have rented twice from Hatteras Realty, and found that although the houses were nice, they were dirty and in need of basic repairs that weren't done during our stays. Including one smoke detector that kept beeping every 30 seconds, that the realty company expected us to live with for 24 hours. We elected to disconnect it ourselves!

We rented from Midgett Realty last year, and although their properties are more pricey than the ones we rented from Hatteras, they are soooo worth the price! The house was amazingly clean (even the washer had no traces of sand in it), and in perfect condition. The only issue we had was one sliding glass door leaking during a gale warning with 50 to 60 mph winds directed right at the door. It was the only window/door that had a problem, so we counted that as being in good repair. Plus, the linens and pool heat were included in the price, not a la carte like at Hatteras Realty.

We put a deposit on the same Midgett house for the following year on day 2 of our stay.

maryland
reviews: 10
5. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

We have rented through Midgett Realty the past 10 years and they have been great! Never have had a problem!

Duck, North Carolina
reviews: 2
6. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

Try Sun Realty or Hatteras Island Realty. We've used both.

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 56
7. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

We have been going to the Outer Banks for the past 25 years. We have rented from Hatteras Realty and Outer Beaches. Both companies have wonderful homes, good customer service and provide places to have fantastic family vacations. What few and minor problems we've encountered, both realty companies took care of the problems. I must tell you that we ALWAYS vacation in April, the beginning of the season. For us it is pleasant weather, because we are from upstate NY. I can only imagine that in the height of the summer season and heat, nerves are frazzled and houses have seen a great deal of ACTION. Our experience has always been wonderful, with the place, the houses and the PEOPLE of Hatteras Island, namely Avon, Buxton and Frisco!!!!

Letcher County,Ky.
reviews: 34
8. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

I haven't had any experience with Surf or Sound, but I have booked with Hatteras Realty twice and would not consider using another rental company. They have been extremely helpful and answer any questions accurately and promptly.

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 70
9. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

We just went to Avon for the first time on a family vacation. We stayed through Surf or Sound and had a great experience. I think it probably depends on the house- as the owners have a lot to do with how the house is kept up. "Sister of the C" was clean, linens were provided, and location was great.

Sunrise, Florida
10. Re: Can anyone comment on realty companies on Hatteras Island?

This is our second year renting from Surf or Sound and have had no problems. Last year, we had a minor problem at the house and they sent maintenance right over. I have not had any problems with staff; friendly and helpful.

We have rented the "Southern Cross" in the Cape, both years now. Very nice house, right on the beach.