We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the local wine like and how expensive are imports?

Which Torba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Liss, Hants
reviews: 3
What is the local wine like and how expensive are imports?

Any info appreciated re: the above as visiting Torba in two weeks.

lancashire
reviews: 18
1. Re: What is the local wine like and how expensive are imports?

Hiya

You will love Torba, it is quiet, tranquil and sooo laid back.

Plenty of bars, restaurants and cafes' along the beach and little harbour front.

"The Menthol", "Omars", "Alara", "Seren Boat Cruise," (which offers lunch) Yengec Restaurant" and plenty to more to look at.

International Branded drinks are expensive in Turkey (high taxation) so you will pay at least 10 to 12 lira for a Smirnoff and coke............more for a named Brandy etc, the wine in Turkey is getting better, but I do prefer the Red to white, and I would suggest the "Doluca", or the nicer, but pricier, "Villa Doluca", goes down well, can't tell you about any whites, (sorry) but expect to pay between 6 and 12 lira for a decent glass of wine, and again a lot more depending on what you choose. Of course you can walk into any supermarket and pick a decent bottle of wine up for less. Also Duty Free at the airports, may be worth picking a couple of bottles up.

We always stay AI, and although we get out and about, and always stop for a drink at the cafes etc, it is usually a glass of cool Efes (local beer) about 3.5 to 5 lira, which is just lovely.................The local branded drinks are cheaper, but, if you like your named brews, then be prepared to pay quite a bit more.......................look for the deals at the eateries, glass of wine with main meal, 2 for 1's etc, they do have boards outside the establishments with "Offer of the Day", and what you pay over the odds for a drink, the quality and quantity of the food, more than makes up for it.

Where are you staying?

I hope you have a wonderful time, and I am sure others will help you with names of wine etc, Make sure you get out and about and explore some of the wonderful towns and villages on the Peninsula. You will have a ball.

Enjoy

DLV

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
reviews: 41
2. Re: What is the local wine like and how expensive are imports?

For local wines, try Cankaya and Angora for white. For reds, try Yakut and Villa Doluca but do make sure that you try a tasting from the bottle before agreeing to it, as most Turkish wines are very young and storage conditions are not always ideal.

Gocek, Turkey
3. Re: What is the local wine like and how expensive are imports?

I would agree with scbc's recommendations. There are a few imported wines available in supermarkets, but they are very expensive.

For a lowdown on Turkish wine, have a look at this:

jancisrobinson.com/articles/a200906017.html

New York City, New...
4. Re: What is the local wine like and how expensive are imports?

There is a lot of good info on Turkish wines (among other things) on www.turkishwineforum.com. Personally I like some of the kavaklidere wines (bogazkere). They seem to be improving every year. Enjoy

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
reviews: 41
5. Re: What is the local wine like and how expensive are imports?

Here's a good article: mymerhaba.com/Turkish-Wines-in-Turkey-2546.h…

6. Re: What is the local wine like and how expensive are imports?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Torba
More Torba Topics