We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking on the Lycian Way

Which Patara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
reviews: 164
Walking on the Lycian Way

We will be staying for a few days in Kas having sampled many stretches of the Lycian Way on our previous visits to this coast. We have never walked from Patara and I wondered if anyone has any experience of this part of the trail? I expect Yesilkoy to be our destination (that is obviously the new road) but the map shows two routes one passing an aqueduct, one nearer the sea converging at Delikkemer and one then continuing to Kalkan while the other goes on to Akbel.

I know we can get a dolmus to Patara but I do not know how to get to the trail from the terminus, in fact I do not know where it stops, does it go down to the beach? I assume the village is actually called Gelemis?

Essen, Germany
reviews: 89
1. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

Yes, the turkish name of the village is Gelemis.

My husband and friends have walked a small stretch of the Lycian Way towards Kalkan many years ago, and I know that it began anywhere on the hill above the village, not at the beach. And they returned before they arrived at Kalkan because of any rubble on the paths. Unfortunately I can´t ask him anymore but I can ask some locals who sometimes do such tours in springtime.

Essen, Germany
2. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

I just found this old thread, they came from the other side (Fethiye) but continued it towards Kalkan.

Perhaps you can send them a PM and ask for any hints but of course some stretches of this way might have changed

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298657-i5548-k1…

Essen, Germany
3. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

There is a special Facebook group, so if you are at FB perhaps you can ask them too

https://www.facebook.com/lycianway.walking…

Essen, Germany
4. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

Here is another article, please cklick at Lycian Way

turkeysforlife.com/2013/09/patara-beach-roma…

Edited: 9:20 am, September 03, 2013
Liverpool, United...
5. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

Thank you for your time and effort, your post is most useful. I am aware of the turkeysforlife blog but have not read that particular page and yes, I can join the Facebook group.

Here is the official site which may be useful for others.

cultureroutesinturkey.com/c/lycian-way/ includes updates to the routes

http://www.lycianturkey.com/lycian-way.htm

For any Turkish speakers this looks interesting

http://www.ceng.metu.edu.tr/~e120352/lycian_way/

Essen, Germany
6. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

You´re welcome:-) I had always planned to walk a stretch of the Lykia Yolu too, it´s very scenic in many parts, but beside a very short stretch on the hill above Patara I didn´t manage it, it was mostly too hot for me.

One of the locals gave me any instruction (from Kalkan) but he admitted that he isn´t familiar with it:

>>stop at delikkemer in Yeşilköy and you follow the sign bout side arrive to near Patara beach,

sea side 4 5 hours walk, inside 2.5-3 hours<<

He promised to ask his cousin but didn´t say when:-))

Liverpool, United...
7. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

Would you suggest we get off the dolmus and walk from Delikkemer Yesilkoy then and towards Patara? I think that would be better for us as we like to finish with a rest and a drink. Either route would do us, it depends on the view and the heat!

Essen, Germany
8. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

I don´t know, I didn´t walk this route.

But I would suggest to walk till Patara Beach, just to have a look at this wonderful long and sandy beach and the dunes. There is a simple beach cafe where you can get some beverages and snacks or you can visit one of the tea rooms/cafes in the village.

9. Re: Walking on the Lycian Way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Patara