We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Nicholas Pension

Which Patara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
St. Nicholas Pension

I've only just seen St. Nicholas Pension on tripadvisor and there was not any comment. My daughter and her husband returned from a week in Patara yesterday morning and have raved about it so much that my husband and I are starting to consider a holiday there ourselves this year. So, I was looking up accommodation on the web last night and the St. Nicolas Pension was the place that I really fancied (I hadn't talked with my daughter)!

They stayed in St Nicholas Pension, which she said was basic, but good value for what they paid - 14 pounds a night for an en suite double with breakfast(A/C TOO). (That's for the two of them, not each.) The Pension has a taverna attached to it and she mentioned that several people they met, who had stayed in Patara before, told them that the chef there was the best in Patara.

The St Nicholas sounds a little bit basic for us, being of an age now We need Swimming pool more than the beach. My daugher said that we can still use swimming pool which is 2 mins walking long. Because of the price Seems like it could be a good choice if we decide to go to Patara.

Brighton, England
1. Re: St. Nicholas Pension

I was there last week and it's wonderful! The people were so welcoming, the food fantastic, the scenery incredible. The beach is a LONG walk away (about an hour at a leisurely pace through the ruins) but that's about the same for anywhere in Patara as the beach area is protected from too much building because of the ruins.... A car is very useful but if you ask nicely the pension owners might hire you theirs (they did for us but we were the first guests of the season, there might be a queue later on!!) We hired the car for two days and went west on one day and east on the other.... so much to see!

Although basic it is very comfortable, plently of hot water, very comfortable beds, mosquito nets and a great breakfast!

St Nicholas Pension is excellent value, and I would highly recommend it!!

Suffolk England
2. Re: St. Nicholas Pension

Myself and my husband fell in love with Patara over 7 years ago. We go every year in September for 2-3 weeks for peace and tranquilty,regularly meeting up with dear friends of all nationalities, who also love Patara. We eat it in St.Nicholas Pension most nights and have never had a bad meal, the welcome, the food and the service are all excellent.

Many of our friends also visit in May/June as it is supposed to be lovely then also.

We have never been in March and are curious what travel arrangments you had as the direct flight to Dalaman airport have not started yet.Did your daughter travel independently as we thought that all uk tour operators had pulled out and would not have started this early anyway.

Our favourite bar is Medusa for music and atmosphere.

Patara is a very special place, you either get it or you don't, there are no grey areas.If you "get it" you are always drawn back, we know people who first went in the 80's and still go back.

Petra and Simon Fennelly

Brighton, England
3. Re: St. Nicholas Pension

We bought flights online - (not sure I would recommend the company we went with though - the tickets didn't arrive until the morning we were flying and had similar problems getting an invoice to pay for them in the first place!) There were several other agents offering the same flight when I started looking back in November.

We flew Gatwick to Dalaman with Onur and booked the airport transfer and accommodation via emails to Mustafa at St Nicholas Pension. (stnicholaspension@hotmail.com)

Suffolk England
4. Re: St. Nicholas Pension

Thank you for your reply. What was the weather like at this time of year? Were there plenty of places open to eat and drink? We were so surprised to hear that Mustapha was open so early in the season, we have known him for years and he normally opens later. So glad you had a lovely time.

Petra and Simon Fennelly.

Brighton, England
5. Re: St. Nicholas Pension

Not that much LOOKED open to be honest! But having said that we had no problem finding cafes and restaurants that the locals use... Everywhere was preparing for the season so it did look, in places, like a building site! I think you are probably right and they are not normally open so early but we didn't realise that when we emailed them (as recommended by a friend who had stayed there many times) and they accepted our reservations without question! The only reason we went so early was for the total eclipse on the 29th March so our dates weren't really negotiable!

It was cold at night in the beginning of our week, - three blankets at night - but by the end of the week it was down to just one blanket! Needed a cardigan when sitting on the terrace for dinner in the evening, but during the day, even in the beginning, it was gorgeous. I'm very pale and ended up initially with sunburn and now am a quite golden colour (Makes me feel like I've REALLY been away!!)

I get the impression that later in the season the village would be prettier, the vines growing over canopies were very sparse, lots of blossom and flowers obviously had not arrived yet! There was though, something quite nice about being among only a handful of tourists - being the only ones on the beach, the only ones visiting the ruins - I know that doesn't sound very sociable but it felt very relaxing to escape from the hustle and bustle!

I hope you enjoy your next trip, I will look forward to a return visit myself at some point.

Suffolk England
6. Re: St. Nicholas Pension

The weather sounds very pleasant. The village does get prettier as the season developes, but it does have a sort of ramshackle feel to it.I understand completly your enjoyment in the solitude of the empty ruins and beach. Its not unsociable at all in fact that feeling of "peace, quiet and solitude" is why we go to Patara, even in September when the village is busier the tranquillity and peace remain intact [unless a wedding is taking p[lace, then there is mayhem!]

If you do decide to visit Patara again September is a lovely time to visit as it is hot during the day and a perfect temperature in the evening to sit outside or on the terrace, in nothing more than a tee shirt. The villge never gets too busy or too touristy, thank god. August is a BAD time to go, much too hot, day and night, too hot to sit on the beach or do anything.

I hope if your mum and dad go they enjoy themselves. Have a lovely holiday wherever you go.

Get answers to your questions about Patara