We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Which Ankara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Three of us have 6-7 days to spend in Turkey. We'll be flying in from Cairo to Istanbul, then visit Ankara (1 day) and Ephesus. Would love suggestions from people who know the area re: the most workable itinerary to do this. What itinerary would work best in terms of ease of transportation? Should we bus to Anakara, then bus to Ephesus then bus back to Istanbul for the flight back to Cairo?

I'd love to spend at least 3 days in Istanbul, 1 day in Ankara. Don't know if Ephesus would take 1 or 2 days to do well. Plus all the time spent in bus-ing around.... Your advice would be MUCH appreciated!

PS Unfortunately, we don't have time to go to Capadoccia as well.. really sad about that

Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
reviews: 3
1. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

With only 6-7 days to spend, I would fly on all legs of the trip to save time. Yes there are lots of direct flights between those three destinations. Ephesus uses Menderes airport, which is 50km north.

By bus, Istanbul-Ankara is about 6 hours, Ankara-Ephesus is about 9 hours, and Ephesus-Istanbul is about 8 hours. The latter two would also require transportation between Ephesus and a nearby city and a change of vehicles. On the bright side, you could take night buses, and sleep in these buses. That would not only save time, but also save money that would be spent on accomodation otherwise. That is in addition to the money you would save because bus is cheaper than flight. But you should make sure all three of you are able to sleep in a bus seat.

Another thought - It is extremely difficult to get online tickets for the buses, so you have to call the bus companies or buy your tickets from the bus terminal personally (you could buy your departure tickets upon arrival to a destination, so you probably won't have problems with this). Some people stress over not having prebooked tickets to the point of forgetting to enjoy the vacation.

In overall, I think bus is more trouble than it is worth. And if you know the exact travel dates and buy online in more than a month advance, you can find flight tickets under $50.

If you decide to visit Pamukkale, then going Ankara-Pamukkale-Ephesus by bus might make some sense too.

By the way, all this time I assumed you are visiting a friend in Ankara. If not, skip it.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Thanks for the advice. I see you're from Ankara... we're not actually visiting friends in the city, but my son is a history/political science buff. He has the greatest respect for the founder of your republic and wants to visit the Mausoleum and the museum in Ankara.

I will check the airfares - any advice which ones? I will check Turkish Air and Pegasus. Any others? I'm not familiar with the names of domestic and regional airlines. thanks again!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
reviews: 35
3. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Yes there are others..

Turkish Airlines (THY) Chairman Candan Karlıtekin has said the newly launched Anadolujet project aims to serve customers in all income brackets with airfare as low as YTL 29 for flights to 20 destinations from Ankara.

flights started April 23.

Ankara everyday to; İzmir, Bodrum, Dalaman, Antalya, Adana, Kahramanmaraş, Hatay, Gaziantep, Malatya, Adıyaman, Şanlıurfa, Mardin, Diyarbakır, Erzincan, Batman, Muş, Van, Erzurum, Kars & Trabzon.

Your AnadoluJet award tickets can be obtained through www.anadolujet.com or at Turkish Airlines Sales Offices. The AnadoluJet award tickets combined with Turkish Airlines flights can be booked at www.thy.com. Please remember, the companion tickets can only be issued at Turkish Airlines Sales Offices.

http://www.anadolujet.com/aj-EN/index.aspx

also try;

http://www.atlasjet.com/

http://www.flyair.com.tr/

Pegasos - http://www.flypgs.com/EN/

Onur air - http://www.onurair.com.tr/onurair/

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Thank youm CanMom. The Pegasus airfares look really affordable. I also clicked on the link to FlyAir, got to their homepage, but cannot seem to enter the website. I was clicking everywhere on the page, but to no avail. Any clue how to get in?

Also - OnurAir. Is this website not available in English? I can't seem to see a language option.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
5. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Hi again on the Onur air web site there is a very small English flag that you must click on to access it is english...also for me I have a pop-up blocker that aslo must be lifted before getting access to the site..

and yes it seems that fly Air is only a phone number and email page now..must be working on the site or something..

another thing to try is ;

http://www.bulucak.com/

but it is only in Turkish..sorry..

however did you not try the site of AnadoluJet ????

without knowing your dates I randomly searched for you..

ANKARA - IZMIR / Economy

Selected date: 19 June 2008 Thursday (Local Time)

ADB: Izmir - Adnan Menderes Airport

ESB: Ankara - Ankara Esenboga Airport

07:50 ESB ADB 09:10 TK0902 THY*

17:55 ESB ADB 19:15 TK0906 THY*

21:45 ESB ADB 23:05 TK0908 THY*

Grand Total 54.00 TRY ( liras ) The Ticketing Service Charge(TSC) is included to the calculated price for domestic flights.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
6. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Just checked Onur airline and they do not seem to have flights from Ankara to Izmir..only Izmir to Istanbul...

now checking Pegasos...

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

thank you!!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
8. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Atlas jet..no direct flights only through Istanbul ( Ist ) 89 liras plus tax..

ANKARA - IZMIR Seçilen tarih : 17 Haziran ( June ) 2008 SALI

ESB-IST - IST-ADB KK83-KK26 09:30-10:25-12:45-13:40

Pegasos...

19.06.2008 Thr ESB - ADB H92131 08:40 09:50 S 49 TRY plus tax..+ 32 liras = 81 YTL

so Anadolujet is the cheapest....

Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
reviews: 3
9. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Ok, in that case the large museum underneath the mausoleum will be the place to go. Other places he might be interested if you have spare time in Ankara could be the replica of Ataturk's house in Thessaloniki, and the old parliament house from Ataturk's time, both of which are small museums doable under an hour.

I suggest you first go to the Mausoleum, then to the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations. From there, both Ethnographic Museum and Old Parliament are within walking distance. That way, you can reach either one or both of the latter two if you have time after the two must-sees.

Replica of Ataturk's house is in a different part of the city, near the first restaurant of Ankara, where Ataturk used to frequent (It is still one of the best in Ankara). I guess you won't have time for these.

Ephesus takes 1 or 2 days depending on what sites you see. Other than the city ruins, there's the remnants of the Temple of Artemis (one of the 7 wonders, but now it is a bunch of column bases in a swamp), last home of Virgin Mary, Tomb and Church of St.John, and Selcuk Castle.

About flights...If you book far in advance, and flight dates are weekdays, you can find 49 YTL tickets for Turkish Airlines, so if you can't find something from the smaller airlines, check www.thy.com as well.

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: Ankara to Ephesus - Bus? Plane?

Would you happen to know what times the museum and mausoleum are open till?