We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - 2 nights in Manila.

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 41
JBR - 2 nights in Manila.

Thank you so much for the posters that suggested the Holiday Inn Makati - what a sensational hotel in a top spot. You couldnt ask for a better located hotel for shopping !! The hotel itself was great, we had a corner room for our family of 4 and it was a massive room. Buffet breakfast was great too - top quality.

Hotel is attached to Glorietta and SM Mall - what more could you ask for. 30 min ride to Greenhills which is also a must for a "different" sort of shop.

As a side note, I was really really hesitant to travel to Manila - Mainly because I had read a lot of security, safety and cleanliness things about the city but you know what I thought Manila (what I saw) was no different to other major Asian capitals, Bangkok as a close example. I thought Bangkok was actually not as well kept (if that is a nice way to put it) than Manila. I always felt secure and safe and didnt have any concerns. My only problem was I should of booked here for longer and gone out and saw a few sights.

Another thing was we arrived at 5.30pm on Friday night and it took an hour and a half in peak hour traffic to arrive at the hotel - what crazy crazy traffic at that time of night so beware!

Also be reminded you need to pay a terminal fee when departing. Manila International airport - wow, that airport is just awful - for such a big, busy terminal it surely needs some upgrading!!!

But Manila you certainly have caught my attention now and cant wait to come back!

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 16
1. Re: JBR - 2 nights in Manila.

How was the shopping? Where did you get most of your stuff from? Did you get any good bargains in Greenhills?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 780
2. Re: JBR - 2 nights in Manila.

Elisa

Thanks for sharing. It does pay to research on this forum.

Tommo

Perth, Australia
3. Re: JBR - 2 nights in Manila.

To be honest, I didnt have my shopping frame of mind on and didn't really shop until I dropped as such. I just got the kids some Vans shoes to last them out the year and some Havianas thongs for myself. I know nothing much hey! But the prices for these were good and the quality great. I can totally see people would go silly at Greenhills - and if it was my first stop I prob would of bought more, but after 2 weeks away nearly I was pooped (travelling with 2 kids is tiring !)

For all the items I tried the half price of what they said but no budging much on their prices - say for the Vans, they started with me at say 400 and the lowest was 300 - there was no way they would go any lower than 300 and I tried about 5 vendors at least.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
reviews: 83
4. Re: JBR - 2 nights in Manila.

Hi Elisa!

You are welcome and thank you for the JBR.

Yes Manila gets such as bad rap as do the Philippines as a whole. The picture is not as bad as it sounds. ;)

Shopping is actually good Nd getting the shoes for 300 seems like a good deal to me. More shopping to be done and come back soon.

Perth, Australia
5. Re: JBR - 2 nights in Manila.

Yep agree, Philippines does get a bad rap and I was on the band wagon myself but so glad I got to actually visit and change my perspective.

Oh yes am happy with the prices I paid - but the half their price and work up didnt work, most vendors already told me their price and only budged just slightly, even letting me walk - definitely not like Bali !

6. Re: JBR - 2 nights in Manila.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 22, 2015