We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
reviews: 4
Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Hi, I'm planning on visiting Manila - Dumaguete then on to Bangkok. I've been looking at both Cebu Pacific and Philippines AirLines. Cebu Pacific seems to be cheaper, but I've read some remarks about them. Philippines is well established, but is higher priced. Also, I've heard that it is very hard to book Cebu Pacific from overseas. I would like to hear from others which one they would fly. Thank You Jeff

51 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 594
1. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

PAL is a full cost airline so includes snacks luggage etc whilst Cebu Pacific is a budget airline and these are all add ons at an extra cost.

PAL definitely would be my preferred choice if prices were equal. Prices generally are not equal so you need to trade off price.

In saying that if Cebu Pacific was susbtantially cheaper I would definitely go with them for just a 1 hr flight.

Hope this clarifies.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 177
2. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Tommo is spot on. It is like compare Southwest Airlines and Delta Airlines. Buying a ticket would really depends on what you want, a budget airline or a full service airline.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 15
3. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Biggest difference, Cebu Pacific seats are more cramped. So if you are taller than let's say 5'9 I suggest taking Philippine Airlines. Both airlines allow online booking from their respective websites. As stated, food is optional in Cebu Pacific and there's no in-flight entertainment whatsoever.

There are no flights from Dumaguete so you will need to return to Manila then to Bangkok.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel
reviews: 2,933
4. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

We have used Cebu Pacific for the HK - Manila flight for years, no complaints for their short flights. Not sure if the planes they use for domestic flights are different than those that make the HK/MNL flight or not.

philippines
reviews: 301
5. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Take note when you are comparing prices, make sure its all in. PAL website prices is already all in at the onset. While CebPac is only the fare. Baggage fees, taxes, service charges, all are added as you go through the booking process. With PAL domestic, baggage is inclusive, but watch out for the allocated kgs. Fiesta Deal is 10kgs, fiesta saver/plus is 20kgs while business class has a 30kg and a 35kg ticket range. Cebpac lets you choose your preferred baggage allowance with corresponding fees.

fairfield...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

JeffUMC,

....stick with PAL. Maximize your flight enjoyment. You will have less problems with PAL. They call it Cebu Pathetic. With all the latest incidents/accidents associated with them, it deserves the moniker.

....of course, I'm biased to PAL. I've been a loyal customer. I've been rewarded with their perks for being a loyal customer.

.... You'll enjoy flying with PAL.

Papalo

fairfield...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

....by the way, you'll enjoy Dumaguete. My favorite town in the Visayas. Have dinner at Hayahay or Lab-as. And if you're a biker, stop by at 3Bs Bikers Paradise, it's on the way to Hayahay.

....Papalo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 177
8. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

By the way, Philippine Airlines does not fly to Dumaguete. It's sister budget airline PAL Express does that route with just a codeshare by Philippine Airlines.

Baguio, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 234
9. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

All the above are right

As for ease of booking, I have had no issues doing online booking on Cebu Pacific from abroad.

philippines
reviews: 301
10. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

since the route is dumaguete, pal express booking starts with 10kgs allowance as inclusive. You can buy extra allowance as you go though the booking. No other charges are expected (except what you click as you book)

Reply to: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted