We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Manila a good holiday destination?

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
victoria
reviews: 4
Is Manila a good holiday destination?

Hi: We are thinking of going to Manila late September, have never been there and was wondering if 9 nights there was too long. We are thinking of staying at the Shangra La Makati.

Is shopping as cheap as Thailand. ( We have been there 10 times). We usually only buy the cheap fake goods!.

Is Manila safe to walk around and what is the weather like in late September ?

Are there areas to avoid.?

Is Manila like Kuala Lumpar or Bangkok?

Thanking you in advance

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 20
1. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

If you are after shopping, Manila IS a good destination. Goods are cheap also. 9 nights is too much if you'll only be in Manila. There are lots of destinations other than Manila in the Philippines that will suit your interests.

There can be rains since September's a typhoon month.

It is generally safe to walk around at night.

melbourne australia
reviews: 16
2. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

Francesca, I had never travelled before and went to manila in June.The shopping is awesome and the shangrila is pretty cool. There is plenty of nightlife and wonderful people. Travel there is sooo cheap so why not go to Cebu or Boracay for 2-3 days also. Makati is a great place too.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 16
3. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

9 days is too much for shopping alone. You can do daytrips to Corregidor Island and Tagaytay but 7 days in the capital is still very long. You can allot 1-2 days for sightseeing and probably 3 days for serious shopping.

Makati Shangrila is probably the best hotel in the capital and its location is also very good.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 773
4. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

Check out this link for ideas on where else to go in the Philippines:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294245-i3256-k381…

Also use the link on the left hand side on things to do which will give you ideas on the type of things you can do in Manila. FAQ on thee right hand side is also a good source of more information.

Tommo

St. Louis
reviews: 1
5. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

If you enjoyed the Suk area of Bangkok, and soi 6 and the beach road in Pattaya, you might be unhappy with Makati.. Traffic is much easier and the city is a lot cleaner, in BKK and Pattaya. The people cannot be beat in Manila, but the shopping in BKK and other Thai areas are great.. Even the Mall Of Asia leave a lot to be desired compared to Siam Paragon, and other malls of BKK. I know a lot of Filipinos will be upset with my post.. but unless you have been to Thailand you cannot know the difference.

6. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, September 04, 2010
victoria
reviews: 4
7. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

Hi. Thank you very much for your replies. May look at Booracay as well.

Francesca

singapore
reviews: 35
8. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

just dont take the tour bus. i wouldn't say generally safe. what standards are we talking abt here?

first, guns are loosely controlled. nearly everyone has a gun? how could a dismissed cop own an M-16 rifle is beyond most countries. there has to be a lot of answering before tourist will come back to manila!!

Luzon, Philippines
reviews: 2
9. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

Just because there are a couple of bad apples, doesn't mean the whole field is rotten.....**

Anyway, 9nights in Manila is enough, but if you want to have a taste of paradise, you might want to try going to other provinces like Pagudpud in Ilocos, where they have pristine beaches (better than Boracay since, the latter is kind-of "industrialized"), Bangui wind mills (biggest in south east asia, I think?)& others. You might want to try going to Palawan, where the infamous Dos Palmas Resort& Amanpulo are located. Crocodile, butterfly farm, underground river, & a good location for divers are some of the things you can experience there. Cebu-Bohol trip would be nice too (Chocolate hills, tarsier, loboc river/ buffet restaurant, the oldest church).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294245-i3256-k381…

Philippines is composed of 7,107 islands, so if you're wanting more, you can hop on to the next island/province. enjoy your stay here!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,388
10. Re: Is Manila a good holiday destination?

Also look at this for an opinion from 'The Age' (Melbourne, Australia):

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298573-i3261-k…

Three or four days is sufficient in Manila for shopping, preferably on the way back from Boracay, Bohol/ Panglao or other island holiday.

You will enjoy the Philippines: in Manila, Greenhills is a good shopping destination as are SM Mall of Asia, Robinsons Ermita and numerous other malls.