We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

Which Male hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 145
Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

Will stay one night after arrving Male late night. It seems there are reasonable hotels in Male and Hulhumale. I also want to do a little souvenier shopping and see how local peole lives. Hulhumale

seems have access by road from airport that seems easier for transportation. By staying in Hulhumale, can I satisfy what I want to do? Or I should stay in Male?

15 replies to this topic
London
reviews: 9
1. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

Hulhumale does have easy road access but I would prefer Malé. We have stayed a few times and it is easy to get to the airport, especially if you stay in a hotel on that side of the city. We have friends who live on Hulhulmale and it is nice enough with a few very nice hotels but is nothing exciting.

New York
2. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

Thank you for reply. If staying in Male, do you have any suggestions of hotel choices?

London
reviews: 9
3. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

We have stayed in Traders and in the Mookai. There is a huge gulf in both price and quality between those two. There are hotels popping up all over the place now which you can find on most hotel booking sites and then check them out on here. Traders is very good and includes speedboat transfers to the airport but can be very pricey.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 18
4. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

another vote for traders .. its really quite comfortable for one night

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 86
5. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

There is a good souvenir shop which has 3 floors, called something with the word Emporium in it. Looks scruffy on the outside but they have a very good selection at reasonable prices - but only if you haggle. Do so nicely and you should get a good deal expecially if you can pay in cash.

Remember there is tax to pay on all goods and an extra local charge for credit cards. You need to find out what that is and take it into account.

Don't miss Seagulls the ice cream & coffee shop. Very good prices, cool clean and delicious food.

To wander round is simple, the shops are within a small area.

New York
6. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

Hello all who replied to me. Thank you very much for your good advice. It helped me a lot.

norfolk
reviews: 5
7. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

We visited Male for a few hours couple of weeks ago, it was a really enjoyable experience and like sue said remember to haggle as they start really high with prices, but you will get the prices down considerably, especially if you buy more than one item!

Shanghai Region...
reviews: 24
8. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

To go to Male, you have to take a boat, but you can stay in the same island if you stay in Hulhumale.

There is a Hulhule Resort hotel if you are affordable.

If not, there are some guesthouses (like a small hotels) for guest $50~maybe.

I am sure that there is one japanese owns, just infront of beach.

In Male, no beach, there is but artificial beach. I also don't recommend to walk round night time in Male.

Plus, you cannot drink in Male, you have to go to Hulhule to drink (Huhule Hotel). Beer US$5~your

Ask your hotel to pick you up at the airport if possible. Taxi fees are very high in Hulhumale.

Better to stay in Hulhumale for your convenience.

Maldives
reviews: 12
9. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

Hulhumale is better as it's connected to the airport. There are nice & small hotels at cheaper rates in Hulhumale. Only 10 minutes driving distance. I suggest UI Hotels as they have their own vehicle for airport shuttle, comfortable rooms, close to beach, ground floor restaurant & friendly team.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 18
10. Re: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?

hixaaan .. that thread was from last year

Reply to: Which is better to stay overnight, Male or Hulhumale?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted