We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Karachi
reviews: 4
Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

Hi everyone,

I have reserved a room for 6 nights at Prescott Inn near Maidan Tuanku Monorail station in early July. A friend mentioned to me that recently there has been an increase in the street crime rate in KL.

Can someone advise me on how safe a location is Prescott inn and its adjoining areas?

Many thanks

Sohail

8 replies to this topic
Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
reviews: 65
1. Re: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

Like every major city in the world, Kuala Lumpur is not crime free. But as long as you exercise street smarts and take the usual precautions you would do as in your home city, there should be nothing to be overly concerned about. Certainly no worse than Karachi.

Don't walk around on the streets with jewellery or a big DSLR hanging around your neck, stand on street corners with an expensive handbag on your shoulder, watch out for motorcycle snatch thiefs and pickpockets on the monorail.

Prescott Inn is located in an older commercial area at the intersection of two of KL's major roads, Jalan Sultan Ismail and Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman. As you have said, the monorail station is close-by, so it is easy to get around; and across the road is an average shopping mall called Maju Junction. SOGO, a popular older mall, is a short 10/15 minute walk away down Jalan TAR. Asian Heritage Row at Jalan Doraisamy is a 10min walk away along Jalan Sultan Ismail and has some restaurants and bars.

Johor Bahru...
reviews: 37
2. Re: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

Tune hotels is confident enough to site their hotel just about a 100 metres across the traffic light intersection from Prescott Inn. The Medan Tuanku area is as relatively save as Bukit Bintang area in KL, imo. There are maybe 1 or 2 homeless people loitering the area and might ask for 1-2 Ringgit food or cigarette money.

Karachi
3. Re: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

Many thanks for the feedback Jadamros and AHisham

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

I can't comment on the specific area but I can categorically confirm that street crime is on the increase in Kuala Lumpur city centre. I have been living here for 16 months and I personally know about a dozen people who have been robbed on the street. It does not just happen at night but can also be in broad daylight. The typical crime is snatch theft often by either one or two guys on a motorcycle who will grab a bag in passing or rip off a necklace, but also frequently by a gang of three or four on foot who will snatch a handbag and intimidate the victim with a knife. It happens to men (briefcases, backpacks, mobile phones) and women (generally bags and purses, jewellery). Don't think that wearing a backpack with all straps over your shoulders & fastened, or a handbag with the strap across your shoulders will deter them - it just means that you will either be dragged down the road by a motorbike until a strap (and probably your bones) breaks or a knife will be produced to cut the straps, and possibly you. If you are in KL do not use a bag - stick phone & money in your front pockets (a wallet is an obvious a target in a back pocket) out of sight. The police here are generally reactive, not proactive so expect no presence on the streets and no signs of deterence. Saying that, I did see a plain clothes unit in the KLCC park area a couple of weeks ago foiling a bag theft - but they were all too flabby around the mid-section to pursue the perp!

Rule 1 - crime happens, take precautions to not be a victim.

UK
reviews: 10
5. Re: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

I live in PWTC area which is about 2-3 train stops away from Medan Tuanku. I would say it's very safe although I still take precaution while out and about. Best to avoid the obvious display of objects with significant value such as cash, jewelry etc.

Malaysians are generally very warm and helpful. Hope you have an enjoyable trip there!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 42
6. Re: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

Comparitively to other areas in KL, your area can be said to be slightly less safe, due to it being a older part of town. Do enquire with the hotel which areas around your hotel you should avoid strolling around at night. The area can be quite deserted at night so opportunistic crimes do happen.

Karachi
7. Re: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

Many thanks for the update Gordon

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta
reviews: 76
8. Re: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku

While I don't know the area specifically, I have been visiting KL for many years. It is as safe as, and safer than a lot, of major cities. Just be sensible and you should be OK.

Reply to: Safety / seciruty situation near MaidanTuanku
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted