We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
reviews: 34
JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Hi

We got back from our holiday in Malaysia and Thailand at the weekend. And what a fantastic trip it was! I'd like to begin by thanking you all for your helpful advice, it made our trip very special, so thanks to everyone who helped you lot are great :)

Here we go...

We flew with Malaysia Airlines London-KL on an overnight flight. This worked out really well, the kids slept straight through and hubby and I managed to get a few hours sleep too. Great friendly service and a very smooth flight.

Our travel agent prebooked a taxi for us which was nice and easy after a 12 hour flight with kids, but it would have been easy to get a taxi by buying a coupon at the airport on arrival.

We stayed at the Shangri La for 3 nights in interconnecting rooms. Fantastic hotel, perfect really. We arrived about 8pm, checked in and headed straight for the pool which was empty and very inviting. Pretty cool to swim and look up at the Menara Tower and the Petronas Towers! Quick shower and off out to eat. It was drizzling very lightly as we left the hotel...2 minutes later the Heavens opened, I've never seen so much rain. We were soaked through but laughing, great to experience a tropical downpour like that! It was getting late, we were soaked, kids were tired so we went into the nearest restaurant we could find....and had pizza...yes, pizza. Shame on us!

Things we did...

Petronas Towers...

great, well worth the effort of getting up early to get tickets. Well, my husband got them. Husbands can be quite useful on holidays! 80RM adults, 30RM children. We got tickets for 8pm and KL looked magical from up there. A lovely gift shop too, selling nice stuff and cheaper than I initially thought. Brought back a 3D jigsaw of the Towers which will take ages to build but I'm sure will keep the kids happy on a rainy afternoon.

Bird Park...

Jumped on a taxi from the Petronas Towers, took about 15 min but I can't remember the price, cheap by British standards. Interesting place, beautiful birds walking/flying past you, gorgeous gardens and a fun parrot show.

Menara Tower...

Very touristy tacky I thought. But fun to go up and the kids loved the revolving restaurant. We had afternoon tea which was ok, sandwiches, tiny cakes and fruit, nothing special. The views are good and the kids enjoyed it a lot so that made it worthwhile, but whereas I would do the Petronas Towers again, I wouldn't do this one

FRIM

Loved it! We got a blue taxi from the hotel, 75RM for taking 5 of us there, waiting and then bringing us back. Very hot and hunid but we thoroughly enjoyed the trek up to the canopy walk which was one of the highlights of our holiday. Our active kids loved the whole thing and we even saw some monkeys swinging across the trees. The plan was to go to Batu Caves after FRIm but we were so hot and tired that we just headed back to the hotel for an afternoon swim. Next time...

Chinatown

Best place to shop at night! Loved it here, so much character. Plenty of T-shirt fakes, handbags, polo shirts, watches, it's all here. Ate in one of the many restaurants here, very busy but good atmosphere. Nice food

Sungei Wang and Lot 10

Interesting places for shopping, enjoyed both. Food at Lot 10 is very good

Jalan Alor

Loved it. Busy, noisy, amazing food. Really glad we went

And that was it! There's only so much you can do with kids. I would have kept going and done more each day but the kids needed some pool time every day and tbh so did I, you forget how hot it gets in the tropics. We all loved our time in KL, a great fun city with so much to do. Everyone we met was so friendly and we had no issues whatsoever. I was prepared for taxi drivers trying to rip us off, but we got none of that. They either put the meter on or we agreed on a price. Very, very cheap compared to what you'd pay in the UK. We also used the monorail which is efficient and very cheap too, about 5 RM for all 5 of us per trip. We walked too, but in the heat it takes ages and the complaining starts so we tried to keep that to a minimum.

I have very fond memories of KL and I'm sure we'll visit again

Next stop....Melaka:)

Queensland
reviews: 24
11. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Thanks again for your JBR. We are now thinking of staying for a few days and exploring the city and surrounds.

Geelong, Australia
reviews: 1
12. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Hi

thanks for your JBR. We are heading to KL in May for a week. This will be our first visit so enjoyed reading your post.

On one of our days there, we are planning to visit FRIM and then go to Batu Caves in the afternoon. It was good to read that you enjoyed FRIM and the canopy walk. I hadn't come across many posts regarding FRIM so i was a little concerned that it wasn't worth visiting.

We are planning to visit a lot of the places you mentioned. So i'm very keen to go now. Good to read about your experience with the taxis also.

Thanks again

Four weeks tomorrow until we go.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
13. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Hi Cynthia, I'm sure you'll have a great time....we surely did, KL is a fun, safe city. And so warm.....still cold here in the UK, no sign of spring . I wish I was going to K L in 4 weeks !

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 11
14. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Hi!

Enjoyed your JBR - thanks. We are stopping in KL for just one night en route from Vietnam to Bali in June. Have been considering Jalan Alor or Lot 10 for dinner....which would you recommend? There will probably be 5 of us.

At a push we might manage Jalan Alor for dinner and Lot 10 for lunch before heading to the airport but the latter could be too tight timewise!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
15. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Hi trouble, we really liked Jalan Alor, we got there about 6.30 and it was busy but I suppose it's always busy. Very nice food! So yes, if I had to choose I'd go for JA

Australia
reviews: 42
16. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Agree jalan alor is much better IMO so much nice food -even though it's busy you can normally find a seat. The satays are delicious there :D

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
17. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Great JBR Sunflower. You are right about KL , so much to see and do. Glad you had fun.

Sean

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 11
18. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

Love Satay so am there. I think we were veering towards JA for more atmosphere and experience anyway. Our flight doesn't land until 5.45pm so prob won't get it for food until around 8pm.

Lytham St Anne's...
reviews: 14
19. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

great JBR llanita, we would like to to FRIM and chinatown as we missed them this time. There's far too much to do in one visit!

20. Re: JBR family trip 2 adults, 3 kids under 13...amazing:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 26, 2014