We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queensalnd
Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

Visited Kuala Lumpur and loved the shopping - all major shopping on one area . Very easty to get around . Food was magnficent . One of the great appeasl was that you could mix with the locals in their onw culture in that it was not tricked up for tourists . From this persepctive and for the shopping which is better KL or Bangkok

Cheers

Kuching
reviews: 7
1. Re: Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

I’ve never been a big fan of Bangkok. It always seems a bit sleazy and dirty to me, even when compared to other dirt S.E. Asian cities. It is also very touristy and you see a lot of people there for the “girls” which can get depressing. (you wont always see this if you stick to the A/C malls but you will see it if you go for the cheaper markets and bazaars)

As far as shopping goes they are both great places to get deals. I am no expert on Bangkok though, but find myself there at least once a year on business. I know KL much better so shopping in Malaysia is much more familiar to me, and therefore seems better. Both cities offer bazaars and shopping centers where you can bargain for great deals. On the other hand you can also get taken in if you aren’t careful. You will find high pressure salesmen in both places (at least in the markets and bazaars). Bangkok has a greater number of places because its population is 4 times that of K.L but the prices seem about the same for equal goods. K.L does have better air conditioned style Malls though.

These are my impressions. K.L to me seems like a safer, cleaner, and less sad version of Bangkok. Of course I am biased because, as I said above, I know K.L much better than BKK. Bangkok is something that should be experienced at least once though.

Sydney
reviews: 53
2. Re: Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

I believe there is not better place to shop or eat in Asia than KL. At every opportunity I jump when I travel and KL is in the itinerary. Not to mention that it is cheap! So sick of buying jeans for over $200 in Aus and love the thought of paying $30!

Queensalnd
3. Re: Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

Dear Clarla

Thank you for your reply . Would you then suggest that we go back to KL rather than Bangkok - to sample the Asian culture

Cheers

James

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 10
4. Re: Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

Hmm, hate to disagree but personally I believe Bangkok overall to be better for shopping. As the saying goes if you cant find it in Bangkok it probably isnt made yet!! Dont get me wrong I think there is some very good shopping to be done in KL but Bangkok has so much more choice and availability. Yes Bangkok may be a little rough in parts but that only adds to its charm and the people are generally much friendlier in Thailand. By the way Carla have you actually had your trip to Bangkok yet?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 43
5. Re: Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

these are different cities and each has something to offer.

Thailand is friendly and the Thai people are very hospitable. It is a more homogenous country.

I would believe that KL is more mixed in terms of culture among the major races of Chinese, Indian, Malay and foreigners.

Both are great for shopping. Malaysians go to Thailand for shopping, so I believe that in that perspective, Bangkok may be better.

If you want to experience a melting pot of various cultures, I think KL may have more to offer. If you are looking for shopping, female company, strip joints and the night life, Bangkok would be a better choice by far.

Why not do both? Its just a short flight...

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

Yes, shopping in KL is easy because everything seems to be closeby. But I find their merchandise to be expensive compared to Bangkok. Not even KL' Chinatown prices could compare to the prices in Manila's Chinatown Divisoria.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 79
7. Re: Kuala Lumpur vs Bangkok - best ?

I agree that KL is less sad than Bangkok. I hated all that sleaze and depressed looking women. However, i also immensley enjoyed the temples and loved thai hospitality.

KL is lovely though and malaysians in general are very very friendly.