We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast...
reviews: 63
Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

HI,

We are wondering if you can buy good quality money belts in KL. If so, where would we buy them and how much would they roughly cost?

On the same subject (kind of), is it safe to carry money around in a money belt which is next to your body under clothes or are we better off leaving all our money and passports in the hotel safe? (we will be at a big hotel).

Is KL safe to walk around?

Thank you very much!

Malaysia
reviews: 15
1. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

Greenjoy

Much much safer to carry your passport and money with you.

Money belt available at all supermarket or street vendor at China town.

Range from Rm15-Rm50

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
reviews: 68
2. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

There's this chain of luggage/camping shops called TEARPROOF which sell the moneybelts you're looking for and al sorts of other travel gear.

They have outlets in most of the bigger shopping malls, i.e. Suria KLCC, Midvalley, The Curve, etc.

The one in Suria KLCC is opposite the Starbucks outlet.

Queensland
reviews: 11
3. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

My wife and I have had several trips to KL, on each occasion we leave passports in room safe, we carry money on us, that is what we think we will need for that day, we leave the rest in the room safe. Don't know why you want to carry your passports. KL is very safe a lot safer than Surfers, where I would not walk at night.

Just don't flash your money around, think if you have a money belt you have to show it to get your money. don't have a wallet in your back pocket, that is easily seen.

Hervey

Queensland
reviews: 11
4. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

My wife and I have had several trips to KL, on each occasion we leave passports in room safe, we carry money on us, that is what we think we will need for that day, we leave the rest in the room safe. Don't know why you want to carry your passports. KL is very safe a lot safer than Surfers, where I would not walk at night.

Just don't flash your money around, think if you have a money belt you have to show it to get your money. don't have a wallet in your back pocket, that is easily seen.

Hervey

Tokelau
reviews: 14
5. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

Hi Greenjoy

I agree with Hervey. What I normally do is I leave three quarters of the money and my passport in the safe. For the camera, put it in a carrier bag or something so that it's not too obvious that I am a tourist that people want to rip me off!

Australia
reviews: 16
6. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

Agreed with two previous poster: just get back from KL, and the heat will make carry your money belt so uncomfortable. Used the safe the hotel provide in your room, or leave it at the hotel' safe and get a receipt. One night I saw a Westerner lady sat inside police booth opposite to Mc Donald in the corner of Jl Bukit Bintang and Jl Sultan Ismail. She was crying and her boyfriend/husband stood outside explain to the police, turne out het bag was snap!!

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 174
7. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

Hi

Can't help with costs, but would expect about £10-15/$20-35. Have to agree with Hervey etc.

We always leave passports, spare cash, credit cards, tickets, jewellery and all other valuables in the hotel safe, and only carry enough cash and a credit card for what we think we need for the day. We do not leave them laying about in the hotel onlt the safe. All big hotels will have a in room safe and never had a problem with .

You should be able to get a money belt from Strand Bags or the airport, if you want to get one before go.

We don't use a money belt but are security consious in how we carry money and credit cards.

Gold Coast...
reviews: 63
8. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

Thank you very much for your replies!

You are right about Surfers....I can't think of the last time I went there - probably years and years ago....

Thanks again!

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
reviews: 56
9. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

LOTS of good advice & tips here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k144…

Kuala_Lumpur_Wilayah_Persekutuan.html

Paris, France
reviews: 17
10. Re: Moneybelts in KL. Leave money in hotel safe?Carry?

I've heard of a few problems tourists faced with money bags in Malaysia:

1) Heat - If you are going to walk around the whole day in KL, better not try it. A German friend bought one of those belts you can wrap round your waist and cover with a plastic foil so that the money doesn't get wet from the sweat. Well, she got a terrible skin reaction to the plastic PLUS when she sweated through her tops, it was very obvious that she had a money belt around her waist because that was the only part which was still dry.

2) Comfort - some put it on when they are standing, it gets tight when they sit. Then you start hearing those velcro straps noises from the tourist next to you at the restaurant and you'll know why.

Here is why I think most people don't need a moneybelt in KL, based on my personal opinion:

1) Passport - No one is interested in a foreign passport. Illegal immigrants (Bangla, Indon, Myanmar etc) only want to get hold of a Malaysian MyKad since their names are similar to our Indian, Chinese and Malay names in order to stay in Malaysia. If a Mohammed steals John Smith's passport, its worthless for Mohammed and his friends. He won't even be able to sell it.

2) Cash - OK, those who carry a thousand dollars of cash strapped to their body is definitely asking for trouble. There is a reason why Credit cards and Atm cards, Direct cash/debit cards, travellers cheques are invented. If they get stolen, you can just call your banks and get a whole new set of cards. If you lose you cash, no one can guarantee you'll get that back. Best is to carry a set fo atm/CC cards and mix it with TC for your own safety. Anyways, almost all places in KL (restaurants, supermarkets, attractions, bars) accept Credit cards.

Anyways, if you met a drug addict and flashes him even your underwear,shoes or small coins, he is going to rob you of everything. Best is not to flash anything, and stay in safe places. Don't try to go down Jalan Ipoh/Tun Razak/Brickfields after 10pm.

Given all the reasons above, I guess there isn't a reason why tourists should wear a moneybelt. Better idea is to get a nice hotel with lots of security (policemen, bomb checks, card activated lifts, lots of cameras on the corridors, a nice security safe etc) and keep your passports in. No one is going to ask for your passport on the streets of Malaysia esp if you look like a typical tourist. If you are anxious, you can always carry a photocopy of your passport with you. Besides that, nothing to worry about and enjoy your holidays!