We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 11
Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby

The Tokyo part of the trip report is here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k7087…

Day 6: Arriving at Shin Osaka station, we found a jumbo taxi outside that took us to Swissotel Nankai in Namba for the price of one taxi. We spent the rest of the day walking around Shinsaibashi and Dotonbori. We queued for Takoyaki but surprisingly, it was soft, unlike the takoyaki we have back home. We didn't like it as much, to our disappointment. We had New Year's Eve dinner at the hotel

Day 7: We knew Universal Studios would open at 2 pm so we had a free time after breakfast. I called the front desk asking whether Akachan Honpo in Hommachi opened that day. They did and we went there for another round of baby stuff shopping. We went to Universal Studios and the Wonderland area was amazing! It was a great place for all the children, including the 6 year old who is afraid of thrill rides. Watch out for the roller coaster in the snoopy store though. It was way too fast for little kids! I felt it's almost as fast as Space Mountain! The adults rode Jurassic Park and Back to the Future. We didn't feel like queueing for the Hollywood Dream ride (100 minutes). We had dinner at Yoshinoya at Nishikujo station before returning to the hotel.

Day 8: Kyoto day trip. Planned to leave the hotel at 9 AM but ended up leaving at 10.30 AM. We took the Hankyu train from Umeda. We saw that the Limited Express was very crowded so we took the semi express, which had ample space for our strollers. It took 20 minutes longer and opinions were divided on whether we should've taken the limited express (or even the shinkansen). We stopped at Saiin and took a taxi to Kinkakuji, which was extremely beautiful and wasn't too crowded. Then we took another taxi to Kawaramachi, which was extremely crowded. We spent some time having lunch and shopped at Loft. Then we went to Gion but it was too dark to enjoy. We went back using the Limited Express train.

Day 9: Last full day in Japan. We went to Osaka Castle. The 16 mts toddler, who had just started to walk, loved the park. She could walk and run for a long time without worrying about the crowds or cars. The castle, although a reconstruction, was pretty. We had Ramen and Okonomiyaki from the stands which was good, despite using a frozen luncheon meat for the pork topping in the Ramen. We spent the rest of the day in the Shinsaibashi / Namba Park area.

Day 10: We left the hotel early for our 11 AM flight.

6 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
reviews: 8
1. Re: Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby

Thank you for writing the trip report, enjoy reading it and it gave me lots of option for my May trip, cant wait.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby

Thank you. When people ask about visiting with children, I'll refer them to your posts.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 68
3. Re: Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby

Thank you! I'm planning a trip to Japan with a baby in tow, so I found your report very helpful.

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 11
4. Re: Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby

the most difficult part if travelling with a stroller is finding subway exits that has elevator. for example when we went to Osaka Castle, we took the subway to the tanimachi 4-chome station. The exit for Osaka Castle is exit 9. However, it doesn't have elevator or escalator. the only exit that has elevator is exit 11. So we had to make a choice to carry the stroller up the stairs at exit 9 or take the elevator at exit 11 for a slight detour.

singapore
reviews: 10
5. Re: Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby

hi, can u advise which hotel u were staying?

Jakarta
6. Re: Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby

We stayed in Marunouchi Hotel in Tokyo (connected to Tokyo Station) and Swissotel Nankai in Osaka. We chose Tokyo Station instead of Shinjuku or Shibuya because our main focus is the children and we wanted to be able to take a direct train to Disneyland. Our first choice was Ryumeikan but we were not able to get four rooms there. Both hotels are alright although we were a bit annoyed that Marunouchi hotel asked for their key cards back (we usually keep them as souvenirs).

Reply to: Trip Report: Japan in 10 nights with child, toddler, baby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted